This is the Tekno RC EB48.3SL SuperLight 4WD Competition 1/8 Electric Buggy Kit. Tekno RC was the first company to offer a purpose built 1/8th electric buggy. The EB48.3SL is a totally unique platform that was developed for the emerging 1/8 Light Buggy class, and is the first purpose built ‘Super Light’ 1/8th electric buggy. The EB48.3SL represents an emerging class that is far more accessible to the average racer. Batteries, motors, and parts are less expensive than the full weight 1/8th cousins. The kit itself is also an undeniable value, backed by Tekno's incredible customer service.
The EB48.3SL is built on the SCT410.3 platform and shares 95% parts compatibility with it. All of the improvements and features put into the SCT410.3 are all present on the EB48SL, along with a couple others specifically for the buggy. But enough of that – how does it perform on the track? ‘Easy to drive fast’ would be the best way to describe the SL. Full traction patch of an 1/8th scale buggy tire, with much less weight and a touch less power results in maximum traction and corner speed. Lightened differentials, lightened driveline, and lightened aluminum parts are standard and used throughout. 16mm bore, aluminum threaded body, long travel shocks are standard. Updated SCT410.3 suspension geometry is standard. Split center diff mount and lightened chassis are standard. This is how Tekno says ‘thank you’ to their customers, by providing maximum performance at a reasonable price.
NOTE: Electronics, tires and wheels shown in photos are for illustrative purposes only and are not included. See needed to complete list below for a full list of items required to complete the model.
- 4mm CNC lightened aluminum black anodized chassis.
- Super narrow layout – widest point is only 125mm (less than 5”) mudguard-to-mudguard.
- Class leading front and rear clearance (short chassis overhang) provides better bump handling and jump landing.
- Lightweight aluminum pivot balls and suspension bushing are standard.
- Lighter camber link rod ends and turnbuckles.
- Adjustable, LCG lightweight wing mount.
- Integrated battery tray/mud guard, battery is sunken into chassis for a super low CG.
- Integrated electronics tray/mud guard for easy removal of electronics.
- Spacious, enclosed, easy access radio box with integrated transponder mount.
- Adjustable chassis brace system for fine tuning flex with front, center, and rear braces.
- Motor Mount:
- 2-piece CNC aluminum motor mount with precision dual clamping gear mesh adjustment.
- LCG lightened motor mount insert is standard.
- Split center diff mount for easy maintenance.
- Lightweight direct-to-diff mount design.
- Uses standard MOD 1 pinion gears (TKR4171-TKR4190).
- Differentials and Drivetrain:
- 3 fluid filled adjustable super lightweight diffs.
- Redesigned precision diff gears with innovative 1-piece cross-pin design for increased durability.
- Lightened outdrives and diff couplers used throughout.
- Aluminum tapered aluminum center driveshaft.
- Angled rear gearbox with large bearings reduces wear.
- CV driveshafts with captured pins on all 4 wheels.
- Standard 17mm wheel hex fits standard 1/8th wheels without the use of adapters.
- Straight center driveline and less rotating mass = better acceleration and efficiency.
- 16mm bore CNC aluminum hard anodized threaded shock bodies.
- 4mm hardened steel polished shock shafts.
- 4mm 7075 aluminum LCG shock towers are standard.
- Clamping spring perches with captured shock boots.
- Innovative conical piston design (not just tapered) provides varied compression and rebound rates.
- Fully adjustable long travel suspension geometry maximizes stability and traction while providing superior cornering and on-power steering.
- Triple guide design for true consistent shaft action.
- Options for vented cap, emulsion, or standard shock configurations out of the box.
- Optional springs and sway bars available.
- Suspension and Steering:
- SCT410.3 front and rear suspension geometry.
- V2 hinge pin brace system for incredible adjustability.
- Adjustable front arm sweep and angle to make the car more aggressive (swept forward), or easier to drive (swept back).
- Longer rear sway bar for better consistency.
- ‘Narrow pivot’ steering posts provide ‘0 bump’ geometry with almost 0 steering slop.
- 4mm inner, 3.5mm outer hinge pins, polished for smooth action.
- Adjustable Ackermann and bump-steer (bump in, 0 bump, bump out).
- Steering system is fully supported on precision ball bearings. No bushings here.
- Other Features:
- Exceptional wear characteristics. Leave the slop and warping to the other guys.
- Easily adjust anti-squat, rear toe, front arm angle, front arm sweep, roll center, toe, camber, wheelbase, Ackermann, bump steer, suspension geometry out of the box..
- Extremely easy to work on with minimal screw count.
- Shares many parts with the SCT410/EB/NB/ET/NT48 = less parts in your toolbox.
- Compatibility with many existing parts and options.
- All metric hex hardware.
- 100% Tekno RC Designed and Tested in Southern California.
Weight: ~2950g (6.5lb) – depends on equipment used, can be setup much lighter
Diff Ratio: F/R – 10/40t, Center – 44t
Battery Tray Dimensions: 50x148mm
Needed to Complete:
- 2 channel radio/transmitter
- ESC and Pro4 SCT motor
- High torque steering servo
- 2s LiPo battery
- 1/8th tires, wheels & CA glue
- Mod1 pinion gear
- Paint for body
- Hex tools (1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm), nut drivers (5.0, 5.5, 7.0mm), 17mm wheel wrench, pliers, other tools
This product was added to our catalog on April 22, 2015
Fast on 2s
Solid, Durable, quality build.
Easy to drive
Looks distinguished on the track
Super tight tolerances and fit of build
Does not instruct you to vent the body or how
Some measurements for linkage are inaccurate
extra diff shims not included
Build requires tremendous hand strength and or the proper tools. I have pretty strong hands and I felt like some people would not be able to thread tie rod ends, assemble shock shafts and maybe even the diff screws.
Hope this helps.