Serpent 966-TE 1/8 Team Edition On Road Kit
This is Serpents 966-TE 1/8 Scale 4WD Team Edition Nitro On Road Kit. The Serpent 966-TE is the next generation race car based on the highly successful Serpent 960 platform. Main upgrades for the 966-TE include: SL8 gearbox for lower inertia, front aero bumper, split-type carbon fiber radio plate with flex-control and front support stiffener. Redesigned front upper geometry with the inner pivots more pushed out with shorter upper arms increasing corner entry grip and corner speed. Redesigned rear upper geometry with updated camber brackets, upper camber rods instead of the wishbone style and carbon fiber rear lower shock mounts can also be found. In addition, a different fuel tank style and cap have been used (same as the Serpent S811).
- Rear Suspension: The rear end geometry provides excellent grip and provides a very stable car, both under braking and at exiting corners. There are three upper arm mounting positions for adjustability and the possibility to use shims for changing the roll centers. The OS 2 uprights utilize small bearings to reduce un-sprung weight. Strong lower wishbones with sufficient material around the pivot pin and pivot balls. The upper arms allow easy adjustment of the camber and camber rise. Longer body mount arms provide more down force to the wheels yet have no binding due to their mounting position.
- Rear Body Mount: The rear body mounts on the Serpent 966-TE can be connected in several different ways to increase or decrease the down force transmitted from the body to the rear wheels. There are longer body mount arms, which are mounted to the rear uprights at axle level providing more down force to the wheels. The whole assembly is also free from binding, meaning no movement restriction on the suspension.
- Rear Anti-Roll Bar: The wire type rear anti-roll bar on the Serpent 966-TE is ball-raced for extra precision and more accuracy. The blade type rear anti-roll bar is optional.
- Adjustable Rear Roll Center and Camber Rise: On the Serpent 966-TE the rear roll center is adjustable through the use of offset composite inserts, which position the wishbone pivot pins of the lower wishbones. The rear camber rise can also be adjusted through the same method but on the upper rear wishbone pivot pins. The use of composite inserts means both adjustments can be easily made track side.
- Rear Axle: Made from Spring Steel, the solid rear axle is very durable and ultra strong providing a perfect base to mount the rear drive pulley. A steel pin secures the pulley and an o-ring keeps it in place.
- Steering Servo Mounting: The steering servo is mounted on the right side directly to the bottom of the radio plate and hangs free from any other item. The steering system uses a centrally mounted servo-saver, which features adjustable spring tension and comes with four Ackerman options, through the use of inserts, to help fine-tune the 966-TE steering characteristics. Adjustable steel track rods with left and right threads are standard.
- Receiver Mounting: The receiver on the Serpent 966-TE can be mounted in two different positions depending on whether you choose the lay-down throttle servo mounting or the traditional upright throttle servo mounting. If you mount the throttle servo using the lay-down configuration, the receiver is mounted on the left side of the radio plate, between the fuel tank and the exhaust system. If you mount the throttle servo using the traditional upright configuration, the receiver (and protective cover) can be mounted next to the throttle servo. The benefit of these alternative mounting positions is that it offers choices for electronics placement, as well as options for eliminating any recurring interference issues that may occur.
- Fuel Tank: Serpent has supplied the 125cc fuel tank with a sealed fuel tank lid that prevents leakage and thus provides more consistent engine performance. Made from silicone rubber, the redesigned seal has been shaped to create a perfect seal around the opening of the tank and allowing the tank lid to close fully. The tank is also made from a stronger material allowing resistance to shattering in the event of a heavy impact. Changes to the lid pivot pin position further ensure a perfectly sealed tank. The stronger material is also less heat sensitive and will keep its shape better when hot. The tank offers the option to mount small spacers inside to fine-tune tank volume.
- Rear Shock Tower: The rear shock tower of the Serpent 966-TE is made from 3mm carbon fiber, which again makes this part ultra crash resistant. The rear shock tower sports four shock mounting positions to help you fine-tune your cars handling.
- Quick Release Wheel System: The Serpent 966-TE comes standard with both spring-loaded aluminum quick release levers. This reliable and time-saving system enables very quick tire changes during long distance races, allowing you to get back on the track in as little time as possible.
- Adjustable Wheelbase: Due to the front wishbone configuration, it is possible to very easily adjust the car's wheelbase through the placement of one upper and lower caster clip on each side of the car. In the rear you can place shims in front or at the rear of the lower rear wishbones to obtain plus or minus 3mm.
- Adjustments: The Serpent 966-TE is a top-level competition racer and is therefore fully adjustable. The racer can change numerous settings easily and effectively, including the suspension geometry. The down stops can be easily accessed and easily adjusted with optimum effect. Caster, track-width, toe-in, camber, camber rise, and wheelbase can also be adjusted with ease, as well as the front and rear roll-center and rear body mount mounting angle.
- Bearings: Supplied with sealed high-quality lightweight bearings throughout, the drive train is very efficient and runs very smoothly. Thirty bearings in total are included, including three one-way bearings.
- Gearbox: The SL8 2-speed gearbox is race proven and is easy to adjust and assemble thanks to its simple design. The gearbox features large ball bearings for extra durability and smoother rotation. The 8mm shaft will offer increased stability. The new 2-speed gears are mounted to the carriers with three small screws and come in a full range of gears available in combination with pinions for the Centax-II clutch.
- Exhaust Mounting Spring: Using a spring-type mounting wire to isolate vibrations, the spring is attached to the car by means of an Aluminum mounting post attached to the radio plate.
- Centax-II Clutch: The Centax-II clutch system features large ball bearings (a 5x13mm and a 5x10mm) as well as a large thrust bearing (5x10mm). This increases durability and provides ultra-free movement of parts. Also, the Centax-II clutch system features an externally-adjustable clutch gap spacing method, and an innovative pivoting flyweight system. The Centax system, invented by Serpent (Ron Ton) in 1992 is since long a standard in the RC industry.
- Engine Mono Block: The strong engine mono block takes advantage of the extra space near the engine and mounts on the LCG (Low Center of Gravity) chassis plate. As well as the benefits of the mono block system, to stop the engine flexing, the block allows the engine to be mounted lower in the chassis by 2mm. Due to the engine being lowered, the car is now supplied with a smaller diameter flywheel.
- Drive Belt System: The Serpent 966-TE uses three Kevlar-reinforced main drive belts, driven by a series of composite pulleys mounted on aluminum pulley adapters. This allows for a very smooth and efficient drive system that can withstand severe punishment.
- Throttle Servo Mounting: The 966-TE offers two possibilities for mounting of the throttle servo. First is the traditional stand-up throttle servo layout. Second, in an effort to lower the cars center of gravity, there is an option to mount the throttle servo in a lay down configuration. This moves the heavy motor and other parts of the servo lower and into the center of the vehicle for better weight distribution and center of gravity.
- The lay down throttle servo assembly has been designed to fit in the standard servo mounting space, thus enabling the easy change over between configurations. If you decide to use the traditional upright mounting, you can mount the receiver next to the throttle servo. Otherwise the receiver is in its standard place on the left side of the radio plate.
- Chassis Stiffeners: Another feature is the two carbon-fiber side mounted chassis stiffeners. These plates form a strong bridge between the front and rear section of the 966-TE, and are mounted directly to the radio plate bracket and to the rear bulkheads. This greatly increases the chassis stiffness creating an essential condition to make effective use of the sophisticated suspension adjustment options. The left chassis stiffener doubles as a holder for the belt tensioner, with a longer slot to enable changes.
- Front Anti-roll Bar: The Serpent 966-TE comes standard with an adjustable front anti-roll bar. By rotating the two blades, you can easily adjust the stiffness.
- Front Axle: The front axle is made from high-grade Aluminum and contains the best quality one-way bearings that have been lubricated with one-way lube. This ensures a consistent drive to the front Spring Steel drive cups.
- Main Rear Brackets: The anodized CNC machined Aluminum main rear axle supports, with coated aluminum accents, provide a more rigid, better rear axle support for a very true running rear shaft. With easy access and belt-tensioning, maintenance is easy. With the accentors, you can choose three positions for rear- belt tensioning. By removing the eccentrics on one side, the rear shaft with pulley and belt can be accessed very easily. Main rear supports are machined for maximum reduced weight, but retain rigidness at the same time. Pins are pre-pressed into the bottom of the brackets which then seat into the positioning holes in the chassis.
- Improved RCC Shock Absorbers: The RCC shock absorbers are super-smooth and very easy to build. Machined from metal and unique in that the shock bodies only open on the bottom half, they are really simple to assemble. They come with a fixed piston and no longer use a diaphragm as with the previous shocks but use foam. The result is an ultra-smooth and air-free shock absorber thanks to the self-bleeding system incorporated into the design. The seal-package on the shocks is improved (new x-ring and bushing) and offers better support to the rod. It’s a small change but a big advantage.
- Brake 966-TE: Lower mounted brake-assembly for lower LCG. Spring-loaded brake-plates slide on polished steel shafts. Ready-to-run brake plate and pad assembly with advanced friction brake material. The ball-raced hard anodized brake-cam push the two larger pins, which are seated in the Aluminum bracket, against the brake plate creating smooth and even pressure to the plate.
- Brake System: The brake system ensures strong and efficient stopping power. The brake pads consist of two steel plates with the friction material pre-baked to the plates, and the brake disk is made from twin ventilated discs with an air-cooling aluminum center. The new braking system sits lower in the car to help lower the center of gravity. The system is easily accessible for maintenance, due to its very open design. The spring-loaded bar-pads slide on polished steel pins and are activated through the ball-raced brake cam. A large pin moves horizontally to activate the brakes. Due to the horizontal action of the pin, and not the twisting of the brake cam, all distortion in this area is removed and the brake pads are evenly pressed together. The brake cam is supported by ball-bearings for smooth, precise action. This further adds to the precision and exceptional stopping power of the braking system.
- Chassis Plate: The backbone of the car is the chassis plate, which has been CNC-machined from extremely stiff American 7075 T6 5mm aerospace-quality Aluminum and sports a wide front opening to adjust the front anti-roll bar. A cooling slot under the engine helps aid temperature control while chamfered edges prevent the chassis from catching on curbs giving it better overall ground clearance on the track. It houses the battery pack, which is mounted into the redesigned carbon fiber battery mounting plate and is held in place by four screws, screwed directly into the chassis plate itself. This 966-TE plate has also been machined to accept the optional front stiffener plate.
- Front Bumper and Body Mounts: The front body mounts of the Serpent 966-TE are screwed down along with the bumper, which allows for some flex in the body post mounts whilst maintaining the stiffness of the overall assembly. The body mount is held further through two screws mounted from the side. As with the rear roll center, the front roll center can also be easily adjusted. The adjustment is done by removing the front upper suspension brackets and inserting spacers below the brackets and then re-attaching them to the car. The 966-TE comes with anodized Aluminum front upper suspension brackets that are machined from a single piece of Aluminum. These attractive pieces are extremely strong and offer great protection in the event of a heavy impact. The other great advantage of this part is that due to the use of inserts, with an offset hole, you can now adjust the pivot position of the upper front wishbones. Another nice design feature is that the same front suspension bracket can be used on both the left and right sides of the car. The aero bumper can be used closed, or partially open, by cutting out the aligned inner parts.
- Steering Blocks: These Wide offset (WOS) steering blocks can be used in two different configurations by swapping the side of the car they are mounted on. These changes, depending on the side the steering blocks are used on, will either give you more turn in on corner entry, or more on power steering at corner exit. The included eccentrics ensure that the axle is raised higher than center line, which enhances the effect caused by this new configuration and due to the use of eccentrics the bearings are now also smaller and lighter, reducing un-sprung weight.
- Front Suspension: The front anti-roll bar levers, which are combined with the down stops, allow for easier tuning. They’re placed inwards, inside the bearing-blocks, which makes them more effective due to less flex. The front lower arms accommodate the front anti-roll bar position.
- Battery Mounting Plate: The carbon fiber battery mounting plate has been designed to be able to accommodate many different battery pack configurations, including the traditional 5 cell pack. The battery mounting plate is made of a 2mm black carbon fiber and is mounted to the chassis plate by four countersunk screws.
- Radio Plate Support Bracket: The radio plate support bracket, placed directly in front of the engine, also acts as the mounting point for the roll over bar.
- Aluminum Middle Bracket: The Serpent 966-TE comes supplied with an Aluminum middle bracket as standard. Replacing the standard composite version, this aluminum part is much stiffer thus reducing flex in this axle which prolongs the life of the belts and pulleys.
- Adjusting Nut for Pivot Balls: These adjusting nuts are made from Nylon and replace the previous plastic insert Aluminum nut which makes assembly easier and also reduces un-sprung weight. Reducing the parts used at this point also reduces side play so it makes for a more precise handling car and because the material used is self-lubricating the movement of the pivot ball will remain smooth throughout use.
- Pivot Balls: Made from Spring Steel, these polished 8.5mm pivot balls are virtually unbreakable and ensure the smoothest suspension movement possible.
- Drive Shafts and Wheel Axles: Serpent uses only the highest-quality drive train in their cars. The 966-TE car comes supplied with the finest Spring Steel drive shafts capable of withstanding constant punishment; these shafts are ultra durable and very stiff allowing you to put all your power to the tarmac. Front CVD and Rear Regular Dog Bones. Made from Spring Steel, the front and rear wheel axles are very durable and ultra strong. They are a precision fit for the main bearings when mounted with the supplied shims to ensure a tight precise wheel fit. The front axle also makes up part of the CVD shafts that are included in this kit, and can be used with either the supplied quick release system or the optional wheel nuts.
- Front Shock Tower: The front shock tower of the Serpent 966-TE is made from 3mm carbon fiber, which makes this part ultra crash resistant. The front shock tower also features two shock mounting positions to enable you to fine tune your car for any track conditions.
- Adjustable Front Belt Tension: A great feature is the ability to adjust the tension of the front belt. The simple-to-use bearing eccentric holders allow for quick and easy setting.
- Split-Type Radio Plate: The 966-TE features a split type radio plate. The larger central parts connect with a rod to the front stiffener. The central front screws which connect to the bulkheads can be loosened to create more flex; the rod will control the flex. Testing revealed that flex in the front has more effect than in the rear or central part of the chassis.
- SL8 Gearbox: The 966-TE includes the latest Serpent gearbox with a 8mm shaft and new flange, bell and gears. A perfectly balanced gearbox with very low inertia, and a perfect bearing seating is what you will find in the 966-TE. The brake-disk and pulley-adapter with 3 pins has been modified, and a new aluminum hard coated side pulley is included to fit the 8mm shaft.
- Rear End connectors: Rear end connectors in rubber and aluminum, to influence rear end flex.
Weight: 2.520kg (depending on radio gear)
Track-Width Rear: 260mm - 266mm
Track-Width Front: 250mm - 260mm
Wheel Base: Adjustable 296 - 300mm +/-1.7mm, Adjustable +/- 3mm (rear)
Chassis: 5mm 7075 aerospace quality Aluminum, precision CNC machined
Radio Plate: 2.5mm carbon fiber
Suspension: Independent double wishbone suspension
Shock Absorbers: RCC-X shock absorbers, pre-assembled
Fuel Tank: 125cc design
Rear Axle: Solid rear axle
Front Axle: Aluminum front axle with one-way bearings
Gearbox: Lightweight 2-speed SL8
Clutch System: Centax-II clutch system, hard anodized aluminum gears 16-19 tooth standard
Instructions: Full color Instruction manual and Set-up guide
Adjustability: Camber, Caster, Down-stops, Up-stops, Toe-in, Track width, Wheel base, Front & rear roll center
Needed to Complete:
- Surface radio and receiver
- Receiver battery pack and charger
- Engine, pipe and starter system
- Wheels and Tires
- Body, wing and polycarbonate paint
This product was added to our catalog on April 26, 2012.