The Schumacher TOP CAT "Classic" 1/10 2WD Off-Road Buggy Kit is an authentic replica of the iconic model that revolutionized 2WD buggy racing in the late 80’s. The TOP CAT Classic uses many parts created from the original molds, with a couple of small updates that allow LiPo fitment and increased durability. The design incorporates the same innovative features that made the kit popular in the 80's, including laydown front shocks with crashback system.
The TOP CAT Classic is perfect for historic buggy racing or as memorabilia from the golden age of electric buggy racing. The TOP CAT won the 1989 EFRA European Championships with Jamie Booth, and started a long line of successful Schumacher 2WD buggies, which are still winning races today.
- High quality alloy chassis.
- Efficient kevlar drive belts.
- 14 ball, ball differential, invented by Cecil Schumacher in 1978.
- Unique alloy coil over oil filled laydown front shock absorbers.
- Front double wishbone suspension with massive travel.
- Huge steering lock to handle the tightest tracks.
- Front ‘O’ ring ‘crashback’ system to minimise front end crash damage.
- Tough polycarbonate bodyshell to keep out the dirt.
- Original Schumacher tyres included.
- Accepts period NiMh batteries or modern shorty LiPo batteries.
- Accepts brushed or brushless motors - Maximum 17.5T limit with kit transmission.
- Transmission upgrade available to handle modern high powered motors, and create a class leading buggy for historic RC racing.
Power Source: ELECTRIC
Model Type: 4WD, OFF-ROAD, COMPETITION
Top Speed: 40 MPH+
Needed to Complete:
- 2 Channel Radio
- Motor (Maximum 17.5T limit with kit transmission, 6.5T with speed secret pro transmission)
- Electric Speed Control
- Motor Pinion
- Battery (2S Shorty LiPo or 7.2v NiMH Stick pack without moulded ends/caps)
This product was added to our catalog on December 21, 2018
This is a re-release from the late 80's. It is cool and fun, but do not confuse it with the latest high tech wonder buggy. Materials and designs have come a long way since this kit was first released.
This kit is very close to the original. Back then, the buyer had to build and maintain the diff, the trans, the shocks, everything. That was part of the fun. Times have changed. If you don't enjoy building and maintaining, this kit may not be a good choice for you.
Tracks have changed. This kit was designed to run on dirt or grass. Traction was low, so the weight is heavily biased towards the rear. This was necessary to get any forward traction at all. The exact opposite is true today. This kit does have a provision for moving weight forward. The fact that modern batteries are much lighter than the NiCads of the 80's helps as well, but this kit is fundamentally at a disadvantage against a modern car on a modern track.
This kit was designed when a great new idea could produce a winner. Just like in full size auto racing, over time, ideas are proven and disproven, resulting in a convergence of design. Ironically, this kit's major design element, the F1 style lay-down shocks, didn't really work out that well. The Top Cat was quickly replaced by the Cougar, essentially the same car but with a conventional front end.
This kit is incredibly cool and a good bit of nostalgia. It can be made to run quite well. Just know what you are getting and keep it in proper perspective. A new Mustang is faster than a classic Mustang, but people still love the old ones. Same here.
The system used to attach the wing to the wing mounts was nearly impossible to assemble. The design of the front end is very complicated and very fragile. The screws are garbage. Part of the crashback system consistently slips out of place. They offer a modification for this but it is 40$ and doesn't address other issues in that area of the car. This car will break if you run it on a modern track, I don't care how good you drive.
Also the hub design...
In my opinion this is a POS and not worth the time and money!