This is the ProTek R/C LiFe Car Transmitter Battery Pack, and is intended for use with the Futaba 3PV, 4PK, 4PM, 4PV, 4PLS, 4PX, 7PX, 16SZ, and 18SZ Transmitters. Lithium battery technology is evolving. With cell dimensions that fit anywhere a standard Li-Po battery will and rapidly increasing capacity, LiFe chemistry will soon set the standard that all others are judged by. With the ability to deliver 1000+ usable cycles, and a life span up to 4 times longer than Li-Poly batteries (when cycled under the same discharge conditions), these batteries offer the user an excellent balance of performance and value. LiFe batteries are more durable than Li-Poly and are able to handle a higher level of abuse when compared to Li-Poly without the risk of pre-mature failure. Unlike Li-Poly, LiFe cells can be stored in a fully charged state with little to no loss in stored power, and can be discharged deeper with less risk of damage to the cells. Most importantly, LiFe batteries are SAFE! There is no risk of combustion! LiFe cells will not catch fire or explode when over charged, or after a deep discharge.
What about the voltage?
A 2 Cell LiFe battery produces 6.6 volts nominal, which is almost a full volt less than a 2 Cell LiPo battery. The LiFe battery is not meant to replace the performance of a Li-Po battery, it is simply another option. LiFe offers the user a battery with a good discharge curve that is better than that of a NiMH battery, but without the risk of damage or fire that exists when a LiPo battery is abused.
NOTE: Brand new LiFePO4 batteries have been found to fail prematurely if they are deep discharged below below 33% capacity too early. A break-in period of 20 cycles is currently recommended. While testing has shown that this battery can be charged at up to 3C rates, it is recommended that this battery not be charged at rates higher than 1C to maximize the lifespan of the battery. Additionally, LiFe batteries should not be discharged below 2.5V per cell to avoid pre-mature failure and maximize battery life span.
We also recommend you REMOVE the batteries from your cars or radios when you are done, or at least unplug them to avoid accidental over discharge if the unit is left on.
1) You will need a LiFe specific charger to charge the pack (NiMH, NiCD or Li-Poly only chargers WILL NOT WORK!)
2) You must not discharge the LiFe battery pack below 33% capacity during the break in period or below 2.5V per cell after break in.
3) It is not recommended that you charge this LiFe battery pack at amp rates higher than 1C.
4) Read the instructions carefully before operating this battery.
- Safe chemistry will not explode or catch fire
- More mAh per gram compared to NiMH cells, meaning lighter models, and longer runtime
- Virtually no "self discharge", so the battery is always ready to go even weeks after charging.
- Superior voltage performance under load compared to NiMH cells, with consistent torque and speed.
- Fast charge time
- Voltage: 6.6V
- Capacity: 2100mah
- Chemistry: LiFePO4
- Balance Charge Plug: XH
- Charge Rate: 1C
- Discharge Plug: JR/Futaba
- Dimension (LxWxH): 76x41x17mm
- Weight: 105g
ProTek R/C is an AMain Sports & Hobbies brand.
This product was added to our catalog on February 17, 2010
Update: 18 months in and the battery still lasts so long that I charge it less than once per month. If I were hitting up the track 4 or 5 days a week it would be more often, but I still get several hours of use before the battery meter on my transmitters screen shows the capacity drop below 1/2, which is when I typically charge it. I would say Ive only had to charge it a dozen times. The only downside I can find is how long it takes to charge. I never go above 1c but for such a small battery Im surprised at how it takes over 2 times as long to charge as my 6500mah Protek 4s LiHV packs at 1c.