XRAY RX8 2013 Spec 1/8 On Road Competition Racing Car Kit
This is the XRAY RX8 2013 Spec 1/8 On Road Competition Racing Car Kit. The RX8 2013 Spec was developed in typical XRAY fashion - manufactured from premium European materials, machined using state of the art Swiss and German machines and backed by premium service & support. The RX8'13 is the true definition of power, style, technology, luxury and performance, with its smooth flowing lines and distinctive design touches all packed into a lightweight platform. XRAY's uncompromising design philosophy brings all this together to deliver an exquisite 1/8 nitro on road car with pure XRAY character. For drivers with an irrepressible drive to win, who demand precision craftsmanship, attention to detail and the finest quality materials, the RX8'13 is the answer. Prestige. Elegance. Luxury. The RX8 2013 Spec is the ultimate expression of racing passion, with the craftsmanship, durability and performance that makes XRAY kits legendary.
- Fuel Tank: The fuel tank was completely redesigned and re-engineered. The internal baffles were added inside the fuel tank to ensure that the fuel will always be in the area around the fuel line intake so even in the fast and long corners the fuel will be constantly supplied to the engine which results into more stable performance of the engine. The 125cc fuel tank with hypertonic tank lid and internal stone-type filter is positioned in the center of the car, and features a unique low-profile design to allow the fuel tank to sit as low as possible. Rubber mounting grommets help to reduce vibration. The special composite mixture used in the molded tank guarantees it to be extremely strong and robust. Gluing of the tank pieces is performed by a special self-developed robotic system that ensures maximum accuracy and precision in pre-heating and gluing.
- Low Profile (LP) Shocks: RX8 shock absorbers were completely redesigned and re-engineered. The LP shocks were developed to lower the CG of the car in order to improve stability. With the LP shocks, the RX8 stays flatter, making it easier to drive in chicanes and more resistant to traction roll, letting you carry more speed through high traction sweepers. To accommodate the Low Profile shock absorbers, specific pistons were designed and produced. 3 and 4 hole pistons with 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3mm diameter holes are included and have been molded using special methods from Delrin material to ensure extreme roundness, while maintaining maximum stiffness and durability. The shock bodies are shorter, but with a larger diameter to retain the same volume of oil as the previous, longer RX8 shocks.
- Short Shock Springs (3S): The 3S springs have been specifically designed to compliment the LP shocks and the rear springs are 4mm shorter than previous RX8 springs. The RX8 is equipped with C7.5 springs in the front to provide maximum stability and steering and C5.0 springs in the rear to provide maximum traction and cornering speed. The front and rear springs are the same length in order to get more in-corner steering and simplify your tuning parts selection. The 3S springs, like all the other XRAY springs, are manually measured, selected and matched into pairs to guarantee precisely equal length and damping characteristics.
- Shock Towers: To maximize the effect of the LP shocks, both front and rear shock towers were completely redesigned and lowered by 2.5mm in rear and 5mm in front to help move the CG as low as possible. Machined from premium-grade 3.0mm graphite, the shock towers are smaller, lighter, more compact and, after vigorous testing, have been race-tuned to increase on-power steering.
- Reverse Clutch Set: The reverse clutch design provides smoother and faster acceleration, while increasing the life of the clutch shoe. The easily-adjustable 3-shoe XCA (XRAY Centrifugal-Axial) clutch features a clutchbell, clutch nut, flywheel nut and thrust bearing collar made from exclusive HUDY Spring Steel™. The hard coated flywheel, clutch disc and spring cup are made from premium Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum. The internal shape of the clutchbell and clutchnut were redesigned to ensure easier clutch gap adjustment.
- Ultra Stable Clutch Spring: The Ultra Stable Clutch Spring has very similar characteristics to the XRA348540 Conical Clutch Washer Spring Set. The main difference is that the ultra stable clutch spring works in a wider range of conditions and is easier to install. In order to eliminate spring deformation during use, the spring was pre-compressed as part of the production process. This results in the spring having a slightly shorter length. The length and characteristics of the spring will remain consistent even after a long period of use.
- Front Bumper: The front lower bumper was redesigned for increased durability & reliability, but more importantly, to achieve higher performance of the car. The new downforce deflectors create increased downforce. The downforce of the car can be easily controlled and adjusted with the bumper outer window inserts which can be removed. The front upper bumper holder was redesigned as well to increase the durability and to withstand serious crashes. The front upper and lower composite bumpers are made from a special composite material to withstand hard impacts.
- Rear Body Holders: The rear body mount holder was redesigned and an extra body mount position was added which allows the body to be mounted higher. The body mount was also reinforced for increased reliability and durability.
- Rear Suspension Extensions: The rear suspension arm graphite extensions were redesigned for increased durability. The graphite front and rear extensions are used for optimized shock mounting positions.
- Muffler Mounting: The aluminum muffler holder is mounted to the left bulkhead. The extra long muffler wire fits all standard mufflers. The front left bulkhead was updated and redesigned to fit the muffler mounting system as well.
- Larger 2-Speed Ball-Bearing: The rear 2-speed ball-bearing is larger for increased durability and reliability. The rear right bulkhead was redesigned and updated to accommodate the larger 2-speed ball-bearing.
- Stronger Servo Saver: The stronger adjustable servo saver spring ensures more precise and increased steering as well improved steering response. The servo saver shaft is now machined from steel and ensures increased reliability and strength. The centralized servo saver is ball-raced to ensure super-precise, smooth operation. Easily-adjustable 4 position Ackermann allows you to adjust the steering characteristics to suit your driving style and track conditions.
- Reinforced Bushing: The steel bushing for the belt tensioner also serves as a centering bushing at the rear center plate. The bushing is reinforced and stronger to ensure increased reliability of the belt tensioner as well of the centering plate.
- Brake Cam Post: The reliability of the brakes was improved with the steel brake cam post which increases the durability.
- Lightweight Parts: To improve efficiency, the RX8 features a lightweight front middle shaft manufactured from HUDY Spring Steel™ and lightweight brake disk adapter which have reduced weight but still sufficient strength to transfer the power from the engine to the wheels. These lightweight components and super smooth drive train help provide the RX8 with a distinct advantage in drivetrain power transfer.
- Chassis Multi-Flex™: The smart design of the RX8 chassis allows for the mounting of additional weights or stiffeners for complete chassis adjustment. Whether you need to add weight or stiffen the front or rear, you have a choice of optional front/central/rear machined brass weights and front/central/ rear graphite stiffeners. At the front of the car, both the brass weight and graphite insert can be mounted either fixed or flexible to avoid undesired stiffening effect.
- STIFF: Use stiff setting for high-traction tracks where a lot of steering and car response is required.
- MEDIUM: Use medium setting for medium-traction tracks. This setting offers good balance between steering responsiveness and traction.
- SOFT: Use soft setting for low-traction, dusty tracks. The car will create a lot of traction with this setting but will have less steering and response compared to stiffer setting.
- Radio Plate Multi-Flex™: The flex of the radio plate can be adjusted independently from the chassis flex which allows super fine tuning. Using bushings in the back, the radio plate can be mounted to the mounts either fixed or with a flex. It is suggested to use the flex setting for low traction tracks as the softer car will generate more traction. The fixed radio plate mounting is suggested for high traction conditions. An optional graphite radio plate allows stiffening the front part of radio plate and changes the flex characteristics of radio plate as well. Radio plate without brace allows a lot of in corner steering. The brace makes the car more stable and easier to drive under high grip conditions or when a tire additive is used. The muffler mounting is not attached to the radio plate anymore which eliminates the negative flex influence. Now the radio plate flexes more equally to both sides which improves consistency and, as it allows more flex in the front, also provides for more in-corner steering.
- Lowest CG Platform: Thanks to the design and engineering, all parts are positioned ultra-low to create the lowest-possible CG resulting in super-stable and precise handling.
- Chassis: The lightweight chassis is CNC-machined from 5mm thick premium Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum and is strategically machined in low-stress areas to make it as light as possible without affecting strength or rigidity. The outer edges of the chassis have been beveled and screw holes have been countersunk in order to provide a smooth lower surface. Provisions have been made to accommodate graphite reinforcing inserts or additional balancing weights, front and rear to tune chassis stiffness, balance and CG. The area under the engine has been strategically vented to improve engine cooling without sacrificing chassis strength and rigidity.
- Radio Plate: The radio plate is CNC-machined from 2.5mm graphite material and the design allows for the easy removal of the entire radio plate (with all electronics) for quick & easy servicing and cleaning.
- Adjustable Fuel Tank Height: The 5-cell receiver battery pack is located beneath the fuel tank help create the lowest CG. Using the optional micro-size receiver battery pack allows the fuel tank to be lowered by another 3mm, creating an even lower platform.
- Battery Access: The receiver battery pack is removed from below the fuel tank by a quick access composite cover at the bottom of the chassis.
- Engine Mounts: The quick-set engine mounts are CNC-machined from premium high-strength aircraft aluminum. The engine mount has a fixed position for super-easy engine installation and gear mesh adjustment. The engine mount design allows you to set and fix the engine position for optimum gear mesh adjustment. After initial gear mesh is set, the engine position is permanently set; the engine can be installed/reinstalled at any time without any need for re-adjusting the gear mesh.
- Bulkheads: The RX8 features super-lightweight composite bulkheads with a very clean and lightweight design to create the lowest weight and CG, making the RX8 easy to service while allowing easy access to all parts. The bulkheads create a super-solid platform where all parts are mounted; a special composite mixture was developed to allow repeated assembly/disassembly cycles without stressing or wearing the parts.
- Integrated Belt Tension: Both front and rear bulkheads feature integrated eccentric bushings which allow quick & easy front and rear belt tension adjustment.
- Brake System: The laser-cut, precision flat-ground ventilated steel brake disk allows fade-free braking in conjunction with the special high-grip brake pads installed on the laser-cut brake plates. Brake inputs are transferred precisely to the brakes thanks to the ball-raced super-smooth steel brake cam. A steel cam is used for better durability and both brake disk and brake pads are specially heat treated for maximum lifespan. The specially-glued pads are resistant to high heat. The brake disk features extra-deep machined grooves making it very light and the split design allows maximum heat absorption. The ventilating holes are outside of the brake pad area to ensure maximum contact of the pads with the disk. Two spacing springs ensure a proper gap is maintained between the brake pads to reduce parasitic drag and heat build-up.
- Drive Shafts: The tiny drive shafts are manufactured from HUDY Spring Steel™. The self-developed material ensures the longest drive shaft life, maximum strength, and lowest weight. The front of RX8 is driven by CVD driveshafts, while standard dogbones are used in the rear. Hardened with a proprietary hardening process, the drive shafts provide unbeatable lifetime and reliability.
- Axles: The front 1-way and rear solid axle are small and light, ensuring super-low rotating mass and lowest CG. The super lightweight front 1-way bearing is inserted directly in the axle. The rear composite lightweight axle pulley is inserted on 1-piece solid HUDY Spring Steel axle. All of the outdrives are manufactured from HUDY Spring Steel™ and are specially ground for maximum precision. All pulleys have self-cleaning holes.
- Outdrives: All axle outdrives and wheel axles are manufactured from premium HUDY Spring Steel™ which has been hand ground for precision and fit. These parts have unmatched lifespan and maximum strength to withstand the tremendous forces generated by modern nitro engines.
- Pulleys: All pulleys are molded from a special composite mixture to ensure ultra-low friction operation, efficient and strong tooth profiles, and high lifespan. Pulley covers feature self-cleaning holes.
- PUR® Drive Belts: The drivetrain is operated by PUR®-reinforced high-efficiency low-friction drive belts, so the power is efficiently transferred to all drivetrain parts.
- 2-speed Transmission: The 2-speed transmission parts are installed on a precision-manufactured super-smooth lightweight hollow middle layshaft made from tough HUDY shaft steel for 2-speed, which is additionally heat treated for extra strength and long life. The 2-speed gear adapter is CNC-machined from Swiss 7075 T6 for precision fitment of the 1-way bearing, and allowing super-precise and wobble-free installation of spur gears. The high-quality 1-way bearing is hand-ground before installation for maximum running precision and strength. The 2-speed adapter is manufactured from hardened steel.
- Spur Gears: Precision-molded spur gears are made from XRAY's exclusive secret blend of plastic, allowing the gears to run true, be super quiet and robust enough to handle the power of a modern nitro engine.
- Belt Tensioner: The adjustable side belt tensioner is captured on a graphite plate mounted to the side of the radio plate holder. This allows the side belt tensioner to be adjusted, or removed for engine removal.
- Suspension Geometry: The RX8 features the most advanced, race-engineered suspension geometry for nitro on-road racing and is designed to provide responsive characteristics in all racing conditions.
- Integrated Suspension Settings™: The design of the RX8 features I.S.S. (Integrated Suspension Settings™). All adjustment possibilities are completely integrated, allowing complete set-up changes without changing or replacing any parts. The use of square eccentric bushings in the front upper bulkheads, as well as in the rear bulkheads for upper & lower suspension, allows for complete geometry adjustment. Roll centers are adjustable in the standard upper & lower positions, as well as in inner and outer positions. High-tensile steel suspension pivot pins are polished for smooth suspension action.
- Adjustable Axle Height: Front steering block and rear uprights feature centric and eccentric bushings which allow roll center adjustment as well as positive caster adjustment in front. The eccentric bushings in the rear upright also allow independent wheelbase adjustment. The height of front and rear axles can also be adjusted with eccentric bushings.
- Wheelbase & Weight Balance Adjustment: Wheelbase can be easily adjusted using clips on the front and rear suspension. Moving the arms towards the front or rear can also be used to fine-tune weight balance.
- Offset Adjustment: Wheel offset is adjustable by 0.5–2.5mm using included shims. This affects steering adjustment (when adjusted at the front) and also rear traction characteristics (when adjusted at the rear). When less offset is used in the front, the car gets more in-corner steering and steering response is improved, and is recommended for small technical tracks. More offset makes the car more stable and easier to drive on large tracks or under high grip conditions. When less offset is used in the rear, car gets more in-corner steering but less rear traction and stability, and is recommended for small technical tracks or under high traction conditions. More rear offset makes the car more stable and improves cornering speed.
- Suspension Arms: Length, thickness, flexibility, geometry of suspension points and materials used are all the concepts and details that had to be thoroughly reviewed to create the optimum suspension arms. The exclusive composite mixture used for suspension arms is a perfect balance between reliability and performance. The suspension arm itself is rigid enough to provide a responsive feel, yet soft enough to provide extreme durability.
- Steering Blocks: The tiny yet tough steering blocks are molded from a special composite mixture for maximum strength. The bearings fit into the steering block perfectly without any extra play for maximum stability and steering. The kit includes 0 king pin steering blocks, while +1 and -1 degree king pin steering blocks can be purchased optionally.
- Rear Uprights: The compact rear uprights are small but, thanks to the special composite mixture used, are also very strong. The bearings fit into the upright without any extra play for maximum stability. The rear uprights feature two easily-adjustable upper roll center positions which are used for traction adjustment. The uprights feature two body mount adjustment positions depending on the type of body. Also incorporated are shorter and longer pivot ball joints for optimum set-up adjustment.
- Pivot Balls: The RX8 pivot ball suspension contains precision steel pivot balls which are specially hardened for enhanced lifespan and can withstand hard crashes. A total of eight (8) pivot balls are included and are captured by strong M10 composite nuts to minimize weight.
- Front Anti-roll Bar: The front anti-roll bar is a fully-adjustable, blade-style design. The front anti-roll bar is fully independent from the downstop adjustment. The hand-ground HUDY Spring Steel™ front anti-roll bar blades are easily adjusted using a 1.5mm hex wrench.
- Rear Anti-roll Bar: The rear 2.8mm anti-roll bar helps to reduce rear chassis roll. The roll bar turns in ball-bearings for maximum precision and freedom of movement. For fine precision tuning, optional wires of different thickness are available. An optional blade-style rear anti-roll bar is also available.
- Hudy Spring Steel™ Turnbuckles: To guarantee maximum reliability all turnbuckles are manufactured from special HUDY Spring Steel™ material for turnbuckles with a tougher core.
- Body Posts: Front and rear body mounts allow for 2mm front/rear adjustment of the body position depending on the wheelbase and body downforce adjustment. Special composite mixture rear body mount features 3 positions for rear upright downforce adjustment.
Class: 1/8 nitro on-road car
Length w/o body: 436mm
Chassis length: 388mm
Wheelbase: adjustable 291 ~299mm
Width: adjustable 252 ~260mm
Weight: 1260 g
Ready-to-run weight: 2290g (approx.)
Needed to Complete:
- Radio system (transmitter and receiver)
- Personal transponder
- Steering & throttle servos
- Manifold & exhaust
- Starter box & starter box battery pack
- Receiver battery pack
- Glowplug igniter
- Battery charger
- 1/8-scale bodyshell & Lexan® paint,
- wheels & tires
- Model R/C car fuel (nitromethane)
- Air filter & oil
- CA glue
- Bearing oil
- Medium-grade (blue) threadlock
This product was added to our catalog on May 2, 2013.