Team Durango DEX8 1/8 Competition Electric Buggy Kit
This is the Team Durango DEX8 1/8 Competition Electric Buggy Kit. The DEX8 is a precision engineered race machine that will propel you towards your next podium. Experience quick maintenance, hassle-free set-up tuning and long-lasting durability, straight out of the box. Faster on the pit table and faster on the track, innovative Team Durango features are designed to make you faster, so you can battle the clock and your competition when every second counts.
- Innovation Fuels Speed: Your race machine features the Patent Pending Team Durango sliding gear mesh. This super-innovative feature allows the heavy 1/8 scale electric Motor to always stay in the same position, regardless of adjustments you need to make.
- Equalized weight distribution for consistent handling
- Fast and easy Pinion changes for efficient gear tuning
- Easy-access center Diff with no disruption to Motor position
- Make your pit servicing faster so you can hit the track before your rivals
- Tuning your Way to Victory: Featuring Team Durango independent active caster inserts, you can easily make the most of your dynamic adjustable Pivot Ball suspension. This provides fast and super-efficient vehicle tuning in minutes.
- Ultra-consistent Pivot Ball Suspension for easy tuning and reliability on the track
- Innovative Active Caster Inserts for convenient configuration changes in minutes
- Wide range of set-up options straight from the kit
- Precision manufactured composite parts for long-lasting durability
- Fast in the Pits, Fast on the Track: Fast access to the innovative front and rear Gearbox and Differentials provides hassle-free servicing and fast oil tuning options. Faster maintenance equals more time on the track.
- Fast-release Gearbox Covers for quick servicing in the pits
- Lightweight Differential Cross Shafts for super-efficient power transfer
- High-quality hardware for consistent maintenance and reduced pitting time
- Easy Access, Easy Tuning: Your Team Durango race machine is designed to save you time on your pit table, making you faster to prepare for the intense race action. The easy-access center Differential allows you to service your car faster when under pressure.
- Easy-access center Diff cover for fasts servicing
- Aluminum Mounting Posts for reduced vehicle weight and consistent maintenance
- Remove just four Screws for fast access
- Built for Maximum Durability: At the heart of your Team Durango race vehicle is a premium-quality 7075 T6 aluminum hard-anodized Chassis. 3mm thick and featuring precision manufactured hardware mounting holes; you will feel the benefit of this strong and durable platform as you hit the track, while also enjoying the ease of smooth and efficient servicing when you are in the pits.
- Premium-quality aluminum for reduced vehicle weight and consistent hardware fitting
- Milled Shock Tower profile for reduced weight and increased durability
- Etched parts for cool styling and quality assurance
- Fast & Easy Build: Discover the key to fast and stress-free race kit building with premium pre-assembled parts. Get into the race action faster than ever before. Push your vehicle harder knowing you can trust Team Durango pre-built assembly quality.
- Trouble-free assembly for reduced kit build time
- Factory-quality pre-built items reduce opportunity for errors
- Hit the track faster than your rivals
- Superior Ride Quality: Even the most demanding track conditions can be easily conquered with super-smooth 16mm aluminum Big Bore Shocks. You will experience faster laps and super-smooth Shock servicing as standard.
- Precision manufactured Shock Bodies and Vented aluminum Shock Caps for consistent operation in all conditions
- Increased set-up flexibility with Constant Velocity or Emulsion configurations
- Anodized Shock Caps for increased durability and cool looks
- Precision Shock Body threads for smooth ride-height adjustments in seconds
- Advanced Protection: Your ability to finish each race, no matter how demanding the track action gets, is increased immediately. Cleaning and maintenance is made fast and easy with specially designed features to make your racing easier, straight from the kit box.
- Super-strong Shock Cap Covers help reduce damage when vehicle rolls
- Rear Mud Guards help keep Drive Shafts operating efficiently in all conditions
- Rear Mud Scrapers to help keep your wheels spinning freely
- Easier and faster vehicle cleaning allows you to spend more time focused on tuning
- Super Easy Tuning: Simple and consistent tuning options help you advance your vehicle performance, saving time in the pits with ultra-flexible set-up configurations as standard.
- Fast Insert changes provide instant configuration alterations you can feel through the transmitter
- Equalized geometry alterations make learning new set-ups easier
- Faster tuning equals more time on the track
- Easily-shared set-up statistics for faster learning as you get faster
- Black anodized aluminum Suspension Hangers
- Ready for Intense Action: Strength and durability will allow you to push harder for the win, knowing your vehicle can take added punishment when you are driving fast. If you can survive the knocks and bangs, you can finish your race.
- 4mm Rear Steel Hinge pins for increased crash resistance
- Stay racing for longer than the rivals when the action is demanding
- Master your Weight Balance: You can easily create custom weight configurations as you experience the increased speed and consistent handling of Pro Battery layout options. Experience reduced lap times and agile jump-handling as you explore new exciting options.
- Easy-access Battery position tuning inserts for fast configuration changes
- Take control of your vehicle weight distribution without complicated mathematics
- Gain the track advantage over your rivals
- Aero Options: You can easily gain the tactical race advantage by utilizing fast and easy aero-package tuning. Get faster and learn what it takes to gain superior control, in the air and on the track.
- Fast and easy aero-tuning for advanced handling changes
- Adjustable wing position and Gurney Flap settings
- Change settings with just a few screws
- Strong and flexible Nylon Rear Wing for increased damage reduction when vehicle rolls over
- Pre Trimmed Body: Look good and relish hassle-free fitting of your Body Shell. You will stand out from the crowd and protect your race vehicle with premium-quality materials and advanced aerodynamic design.
- Ultra-tough Polycarbonate for durability and perfect weight balance
- Advanced aero-design with large side pods for forced cooling airflow
- Aggressive Cab-forward design for air-dam steering benefits and cool Team Durango looks
- Pre-trimmed for easy installation, with over-spray film for added protection during custom painting
- Simple Hardware, Fast Maintenance: Servicing has never been easier. Standardized hardware and precision manufactured mounting holes mean you will save time every race meeting. Turn that saved time into a track advantage by being ready for action quicker.
- Durable Steel Screws and Nuts for long-lasting, hassle-free operation
- Standardized Screw head sizes for fast and easy tool selection
- Precision manufactured threads for consistent servicing
- Striking Looks: Stand out from the racing competition and access expertly designed advanced aerodynamics. The supplied super-durable Polycarbonate Body Shell has you covered. Aggressive Cab-Forward design with turbulence control fins, this Body Shell is ready for action.
- Super-strong Polycarbonate pre-trimmed Body Shell for fast and easy fitting
- Increased durability under intense racing conditions
- Striking Body Shell styling for head-turning looks and advanced aerodynamic characteristics
- Supplied clear with premium vehicle Decal Sheet for one-off hand-painted looks
Length: 20.9" (522mm)
Width: 12.1" (307mm)
Wheelbase: 12.3 - 12.87" (323 - 327mm)
Weight: Approx 7lb 8oz (3.2kg) - varies with chosen components
NOTE: Electronics, wheels, tires and painted body shown in photos are for illustrative purposes only and are not included.
Needed to Complete:
- 2-channel Radio System w/high-torque steering servo
- 1/8 scale Motor/ESC
- Paint for Polycarbonate Body
- (2) 2S LiPo Batteries (minimum 5000mAh)
- LiPo charger
- (4) 1/8th Scale Buggy Tires, Wheels and CA Glue
- Differential Fluid
- Shock Fluid
- Pinion Gear
This product was added to our catalog on April 15, 2015.
Guy at my club had the old DEX408v2 that was a great car, built solid, drove well and was reliable.
I was looking at changing brands and Durango looked really appealing, going off how good the 408 was a decided to drop my money on the new DEX8 & DEX8T.
The kits are semi built, first bad thing, I found so many errors and loose bolts. I disassembled it all and made sure I put loctite on a few areas.
Plastic Spurs must be made out of the lowest grade plastic on the market, I went through 10 Spurs in 3 months, I tried the mesh loose, tight, in between, nothing worked, I had so many DNF & DNS issues due to spurs.
Diff out drives are made out of low grade material, noticeable wear was seen after running a club day, I had to replace all diff out drives twice within 6months.
The pivot balls always came unwound out of arms mid race, I managed to stop this by putting thread tape on the threads.
Chassis braces always broke and wing mounts, wow I broke so many of them.
After every club day or race meet I always came home with 2 broken cars and on average $100 worth of spare parts required.
I find it hard to believe how much Durango dropped the ball on these cars, they had so much potential.
On the bright side, when these cars were working fine they drove amazing, but it was always in the back of your mind I can't push too hard and crash because the dam thing will break.
I sold both of my Durango's a very unhappy customer.
I purchased the mugen mbx7r Eco and mbx7tr Eco as replacements since the Durango is a crude copy of mugen and what a difference, I now enjoy RC racing again.)
1. Center diff. 2. Not enough support at races or LHS. I bought hundreds in spare parts just so I could race. A metal center diff doesn't stop the sliding, although I recommend installing one before you drive it. The one thing holding this talented buggy back is the center diff failure.
Team Durango, address this issue and I (along with many others) will run all three platforms!)
I'm not a pure racer. I do both racing and bashing. I found this buggy suits my needs perfectly. It is designed and built as a racing platform with great drivability and with more tune-abilies than you ever need IMO, just like any other modern 1/8 scale racing buggy kits you can find on the market. I ran this on my local dirt track. It jumps so well and turns like on rail.
The unique thing about this buggy is that it is also picked up by bashing community (a.k.a the Arrma Typhon BLX). It means when you encounter a problem, you can potentially get support from both racing and bashing community. For example, there's a metal servo mount made for Arram Typhon that can be installed on DEX8 without any problem.
It also comes with a battery tray that is longer than most other 1/8 racing buggies I have seen. That makes it very handy to throw in any 6S batteries you happen to have, for either higher speed or longer runtime. For example, I currently share 5000mah 6s batter for my 500 and 700 helicopters with this buggy :)
For durability, there are 2 main durability issues that I'm aware of. No buggy is perfect. They all have problems here and there. Luckily for DEX8, those issue are all easily curable:
1. stripping main gear: this is due to flex of the center diff mount. It can be cured by either install a steel gear (again, made for Arrma Typhon) or a metal center diff mount (made by M2CRacing).
2. Splint front lower arm. This seems happens only on early batch. I heard that Durango have improved their molding process to mitigate it. But either way, it can be easily fixed by adding a flat shim to the lower arm. You can find details information about it in RCTech's DEX8 thread.
In short, if you are like me, do both racing and bashing, you can't go wrong with this buggy.)
The car drives quite well, no complaints there. I am not a fan of how they did the center spur gear setup, I get what they were trying to do but I think it could have been implemented better by having say one screw that is in charge of holding everything together versus the variety used now. You also need to run the mesh on these a bit tighter than what I was used to with a Tekno.
For durability, you want the mugen washers or similar washer in diameter to go between the lower pivot ball and the lower front a-arm. That fixes any durability issues in that area.
Finally, dissassemble and reassemble anything that is metal to metal, personally everything in my opinion. The loctite used is just not really up to what is needed. Also, for a kit at this price, it should have truly been a kit as the guys assembling these most likely won't have the attention to detail that you the owner will have.
Other than that, love the car and look forward to when they finally release a steel spur gear.)