The Spektrum S2100 Smart Charger is the first dual-output AC Smart Charger to feature Spektrum Smart Charging technology. Small and portable, this 200W charger features the Spektrum IC3™connector that delivers a robust connection that also reads vital battery content that relays to a bright LCD color display to clearly show unique information and log data about your Smart Battery such as how many charge cycles the pack has, and much more.
Spektrum Smart Overview
Spektrum Smart technology is about offering a higher connection to your hobby. It’s a connection that puts you in complete control, makes you more aware and more confident about the capability of your equipment—all the while making vital components of your model easier to use than ever. The combined result is a sense that will make you wish everything about your hobby was “smarter.”
For all radio control hobbyists that are looking for a better way to charge batteries, Spektrum Smart Chargers and Smart Batteries combine for an intuitive charging experience that results in a simple, connected, and safer charging experience. Spektrum Smart Charging virtually eliminates the hassle from charging your LiPo batteries. This is made possible by an integrated microchip on each Smart battery that communicates with your Smart charger to automatically determine the best charging settings. Plug it in, and just press start. While all hobbyists will enjoy this simple experience, advanced hobbyists can take advantage of unique data such as cycle count, unhealthy activity like overcharge and discharge, battery temperature, C rating and much more, all saved within each battery. Additionally, automatic discharge to storage ensures a better, and healthier, lifespan for your batteries.
Input: 100-240V AC
# Cells: LiHv (1-6S) LiPo (1-6S) LiFe (1-6S) Lilon (1-6S) NiMH (1-6S) Cd (1-16S) Pb (1-12S)
Current Discharge: 0.1-3.0 A
Charge Rate: 0.1-12.0 A
Input Connector: AC cord
Output Connector: IC3 x2 - compatible with EC3
Cooling Method: Fan
Voltmeter: Yes - on main LCD display
Amp Meter: Yes - on main LCD display
Length: 4.7 in (120mm)
Width: 4.3 in (108mm)
Height: 2.8 in (72mm)
Note: This charger supports IC5 batteries, but does not include the IC5 lead. The IC5 connector (SPMXCA507) is sold separately.
WARNING NOTE: This charger is not compatible with Traxxas iD equipped LiPo Batteries; only Traxxas iD chargers properly charge Traxxas iD LiPo Batteries. NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, use this charger to charge a Traxxas iD equipped LiPo Battery.
A few other observations:
(1) The Smart setting for my Spektrum 5000MAh 2S LiPo IC3 battery used a fairly high charge rate, something like 2C. I would never manually charge a LiPo at that level (I stick to 1C), but my guess is that the Smarts allow this type of charge rate to be used without degrading the cells.
(2) When plugging in an IC3 LiPo, I was shocked that the charger wasn't smart enough to avoid warning me about the lack of a balance plug attached. Of course this is one of the huge advantages of using IC3 LiPos, and yet someone in product development let this one slip - pretty silly. Spektrum will hopefully issue a firmware update (if that's even possible).
(3) I charged an EC3 NiMH battery using this charger, and it worked fine. Seemed to set an appropriate charge rate to avoid overheating.
(4) The packaging of this charger is quite slick, but the manual is pretty unacceptable in terms of level of detail. If I didn't already know how to charge non-Smart batteries, I'd feel very uncomfortable using this charger with them.
Overall, I think this is a GREAT charger for anyone new to the hobby who is buying a new Horizon model and is going to buy a new battery as well. It's a tougher sell if you have a stockpile of other batteries or any non-Horizon kits, as EC3/IC3 plugs are only in Horizon kits.
- If you want to set the auto discharge and custom charge amperage rates, this charger will do it (The Spektrum S150 will not)
- You want to actually actively discharge your battery for safe storage (did it rain, did plans change?), this charger will do it
- If you want to charge a Spektrum 6S Battery quickly (it's HUGE), this charger will do this (Amazing the difference between the S150.)
I was very happy with the Spektrum S150 (1 x 50W), a good entry-level charger that will do the job. But this charger lets you explore the value of the smart charging.
It has a lot of capabilities a starter charger doesn't. My only complaint is not so much with the charger as with the Flite test store.
I needed charging octopuses so I can charge all the types of batteries I'm accumulating so I ordered the ones that are listed as going with this. Well, they have the wrong connector to go to the charger. Luckily I had adaptors in my kit so there was no panic but people need to be made aware of what connectors are on chargers and octopuses.