Spartan RC Vortex Esprit VX1e Flybarless Controller
- Tail: Based on Spartan's market leading gyro technology the Vortex is capable of delivering exceptional tail hold and consistent yaw rates even at eye-blurring speeds of over three full turns per second.
- Rotor: The cyclic and collective controls are smooth and precise with a very solid feel and impressive response time. Factory calibrated sensors and Spartan's proprietary piro compensation technology enable your helicopter to remain locked in through piro moves.
- Governor: The built in governor provides Nitro and Electric* modes and support for both magnetic and phase sensors. Cross mixing and look-ahead algorithms ensure that power is delivered in time and not as a result of RPM decay. (*Optimized electric governor mode is planned for future firmware update. ETA autumn 2014)
- Receiver: The Vortex is compatible with all radio systems using individual channel connections to the receiver. Additionally it supports single wire connection for most popular protocols and direct connection to 1 or 2 Satellites. Three channels of the radio system can be routed to the Vortex's AUX port to control accessories like lights and glow igniters.
- Flight Modes: The Vortex offers four flight modes (configuration memories) to accommodate different flying styles. These are often linked to Normal, Idle1, Idle2 & Hold or another switch of the transmitter if preferred.
- Setup: Using the Spartan DataPod field programmer your Vortex can be installed and configured in minutes. Adjustments can also be done at the field without the need to carry a computer. For those who prefer the larger computer screens Spartan Studio offers a truly intuitive operation through its guided installation wizard and built in tuning manual.
- Power: The Vortex operates at both classic 5V and high voltage 8.4V (2S) power systems. The DataPod port of the Vortex also doubles as secondary power connection point when additional current is needed for high torque servos.
Sensor Technology: MEMS
Sensor Interface: Digital
Remote Sensor: No
Built in USB Port: Yes
USB via DataPod: Yes
HV Compatible: Yes
Event Logging: Yes
Recommended Application: Nitro/Electric
Control System: Proprietary PID w/Adaptive Tuning
Supported Receivers: Standard Pulse, PPM, SBUS, XBUS, UDI, SRXL, SUMD, DSM2, DSMX
Satellites: 1 or 2
Radio Channels: 6
Tail Servos: Digital 760us, 960us, and 1520us center pulse
Swash Servos: Digital or analog 1520us center pulse
Operating Voltage: 3.8V to 8.4V (<100mA)
Flight Controller Dimensions: 36.6x23.8x14.4mm
Remote Sensor Dimensions: N/A
Sensor Lead: N/A
Weight: 11 grams
Warranty Years*: 1+1
Crash Replacement**: 50% through manufacturer
* Standard warranty + free additional with product registration
** 50% of the official RRP for identical replacement. 75% when upgrading to a newer model.
- Spartan VX1e
- Welcome Card
- Receiver Cables
- Adhesive Pads
- Canopy Decals
This product was added to our catalog on September 5, 2014.
Initially, I was annoyed when I first set it up due to my unfamiliarity with the procedure and the fact that the instructions consist of several web pages that aren't well organized (at least for a first time user). But I persisted and found that overall, setup was straightforward. I recommend the little data pod though, so figure on purchasing that if you don't already have one. It is tiny in size and you don't need to haul a laptop to the field - and using it to setup and later tweak parameters is fast.
As far as flying with this system - I'm very impressed. Piro compensation is darn near perfect and as good as the BeastX system which I think is a gold standard in that department. The data pod makes changing engine governing parameters or head/tail gain and rate a breeze and very quick to do at the field.
I ended up liking this system so much I now have 3 of them - and for the price they are tough to beat. Note that they also work with serial digital including Graupner radios.)