Novak Timbuk2 Wraith Brushless ESC/Ballistic Brushless Motor System (13.5T)
This is the Novak Timbuk2 "Wraith Edition" Brushless ESC and 13.5 Turn Ballistic Brushless Motor System and is intended for use with the Axial Wraith. The Axial Wraith 4WD Rock Racer has taken the trails by storm, and Novak has developed a brushless combo to bring out the full potential of this unique, rock-racing vehicle; the Timbuk2 Brushless System - Wraith Edition. This combo is especially suited for the Axial Wraith and other vehicles that use a reverse-rotation drive train, and provides faster speeds, higher torque, and more control compared to a standard brushed system. With the Novak Timbuk2 Brushless System─Wraith Edition, there is no need to modify the vehicle’s drive train or program the speed control—simply install and enjoy its new found power right out of the box!
Wraith Specific Hardware: The Wraith-Edition Timbuk2 ESC has been given its own set of default parameters that are suited for the vehicle’s unique drive train. Not only will the ESC rotate the brushless motor in the correct clockwise rotation, but also includes Novak’s exclusive Rock-Boost. When the vehicle reaches full speed, Rock-Boost engages and electronic timing advance is applied to the motor. This allows you to have ultra-fine low-speed control, unstoppable torque, along with the top speed and higher RPMs of much faster motors. Up until now, motor timing was only available in standard rotation controllers. The Timbuk2 is the first ESC to offer electronic motor timing in BOTH clockwise and counter-clockwise motor rotation modes─another Novak first!
Included BEC Module: Since so many hardcore R/C enthusiasts own an Axial Wraith, Novak wanted to be sure the Timbuk2 system had the power you needed. The speed control’s internal heavy-duty 2-amp BEC works great with the stock components, and some heavy-duty servo upgrades. However, when the going gets tough, you may want a little extra juice for your servo and accessory lights. The Timbuk2 Wraith Edition combo also includes a super heavy-duty 5-amp external BEC module. You can run this module in combination with the Timbuk2’s internal BEC for a steering arm bending 7 amps of power!
More Features: Like the standard Timbuk2 Crawling Brushless ESC, the Wraith-Edition is extremely small and lightweight. But, don’t let its small size fool you! This ESC is packed with features including on-board ESC temperature diagnostics, thermal overload protection, and Novak’s easy One-Touch Set-Up. For those who need additional customization, the Timbuk2 ESC features full, on-board programming with an intuitive and easy-to-use interface. No PC or programming card needed.
High End Crawler Motor: Novak’s Ballistic 13.5-turn brushless crawler motor is factory set to 0 degrees of timing—the optimal setting for clockwise and counter-clockwise operation. Additionally, it features a sensored design for incredibly smooth acceleration and control, and faster speeds, higher torque and longer run times as compared to a brushed system. Each Ballistic motor is 100% rebuildable─all components including the rotor, wound stator, timing assembly, end bells and bearings can be easily replaced.
Like all Novak Ballistic motors, the Ballistic Crawlers contain heavy-duty solder tabs and a removable nine-inch shielded sensor harness. The motors are equipped with a custom-silicone gasket seal to keep dirt and debris from damaging the motors sensor plug, and also include a Crawling Sintered Tuning Rotor - 14mm. The rotor’s large diameter and exclusive magnetic material provide more torque and stronger braking. It also increases natural drag braking and improves the motors’ initial throttle response, providing more control on steep climbs and downhill descents.
- Custom designed for the Axial Wraith and other vehicles with reverse-rotation (clockwise) drive trains
- Sensor-based motor for excellent torque and low-speed drivability
- Compact and lightweight design
- Novak’s exclusive Rock Boost electronic timing advance to drastically increase motor RPM at full throttle
- Three distinct types of Hill/Drag Brake selections for significantly stronger brakes that can hold the heaviest rigs on the steepest inclines
- Water-resistant case with silicone gasket seal to help keep out the elements
- Built-In Voltage Cut-Off Circuitry prevents damage to LiPo/LiFe batteries
- Included ultra heavy-duty 5A BEC module for a total of 7 amps—enough to operate heavy-duty servos and added accessories
- Built-In 6V output for optional accessory fan or other detail items such as running lights
- User friendly One-Touch programming interface with 5 colored status LEDs to help personalize the ESC's settings
- 10 adjustable parameters: Hill/Drag Brake, Minimum Drive, Dead Band, Throttle Curve (Linear/Expo), Brake Frequency, Reverse End Point, Drive Frequency, Novak Rock Boost, Motor Rotation and Voltage Cut-Off
- 100% rebuildable motor design─all components including rotor, stator, and bearings can be replaced
- Built-in diagnostic temperature monitoring that lets you quickly check the ESC's operating temperature at any time
- On-board Hall Sensor Test to easily and quickly verify that the motor's sensors are working properly
- Thermal Overload Protection circuitry to protect the ESC from overheating
- Novak’s One-Touch Set-Up for quick, easy transmitter set-up
- Plug-and-Play: Factory wired with Tamiya®-style battery plug & gold-plated Bullet motor plugs
- Gold-plated direct-solder wiring tabs for flexible soldering options
- Factory installed power capacitor
- User-replaceable input harness
- Meets RoHS compliance and includes a 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty
- Designed, assembled and tested by Novak in Irvine, California, using globally sourced components
- Sensor-based for excellent braking and low-speed driveability
- Oversized front motor bearing [1/2” x 3/16” (12.7 x 4.8mm)] for increased load handling and bearing life
- Completely rebuildable motor design
- Nickel-plated Crawling Sintered Tuning Rotor -- 14mm (#5950) with 0.125” pinion shaft
- Meets RoHS compliance and includes 120-Day Warranty
- Designed and assembled by Novak in Irvine, Calif., using globally-sourced components
Motor Compatibility: Sensored Brushless
Fwd/Brk/Rev: F / Drag Brake / R
Input Cells: 2S LiPo/LiFe or 4-7 NiMH
Size: 1.15x0.95x0.66” (29.0x24.3x16.8mm)
Weight (w/o wires): 0.69 oz. (19.5 g)
On-Resistance: 0.00057 ohms @ 25°C trans. temp.
Motor Limit: 540-size: 13.5T (Novak Crawling Brushless Motors only)
Wire Size: 14G Super-Flex Copper-Strand Silicone Wire
BEC: 6.0 volts DC / 2.0 amps (7.0 amps with use of included 5A BEC)
Battery/Motor Plug: Tamiya-style battery and gold-plated Bullet motor plugs factory installed
Status LEDs: 5
Ballistic Crawler 13.5 Specifications:
Motor Size: 2.07x1.41” (52.6x35.8mm)
Motor Weight: 6.6oz. (187.0g)
Sensor Harness: 9” (230mm)
This product was added to our catalog on October 27, 2011.
the hill brake will flip the rig, which is bad wile going down steep hills.
and the reverse is glitchy, some times works sometimes not at all, sometimes jirks! or best of all is wot! for small input, very unpredictable.
it says it has hill brake, and drag brake, all i know is if you let off the gas it flips! so i guess some were the drag happens, but its news to me! must have to pic one or the other
i hear the momba max pro has adjustable brag break, to slow rig then set like a vice grip w/o flipping rig! this will be my next esc, or a tekin ,still reserching....
very disappointed in this one......)
Only good thing about this motor is once rolling, after cogging a tad bit, is smooth and quiet.)