Novak M2 Dig ESC & Rock Star Expert Brushed Crawler Combo (45T)
This is the Novak M2 Dig ESC, and Rock Star Expert 45 Turn Brushed Motor Rock Crawler Combo. Novak is offering a unique cost-saving combo for MOA vehicles—the M2 Dig 3S / Dual Rock Star 45T Motor & BEC Combo. This Novak combo features two, 45-turn Rock Star Expert Crawling motors and Novak’s heavy-duty external BEC. These motors are Sagami-built with high-quality materials, are completely rebuildable, and provide maximum torque needed for rock crawling. Because the M2 Dig ESC operates dual motors, this combo is ideal for MOA (motor-on-axle) vehicles like the Axial® XR10™, EnRoute’s® Berg™, Integy’s® Super and Unlimited Class of crawlers, and Clod Buster®-based vehicles. Additionally, a 3-Amp BEC (#5463) is included for higher-power applications, so you have everything needed right out of the box! In addition to crawling applications, the M2 Dig 3S ESC is ideal for applications that require two motors, such as robots, boats, tanks and submarines.
Rock Star Expert Crawling Motors
These brushed crawling motors are Sagami-built with high-quality materials. Rock Star motors are available in high turn counts for maximum torque and long run times! The Rock Stars are completely rebuildable with an easily accessible commutator and replaceable brushes and springs. The brushed motor is also outfitted with dual-ball bearings for a smooth and efficient ride, and high strength magnets for unmatched brush-motor performance. The motors are thoroughly tested by Novak to ensure their performance.
Four Fully-Programmable Throttle Profiles
The compact M2 Dig ESC is easy to install and operate. There are four fully programmable throttle profiles:
- Dig Mode Uses Dig Power (independent of Drag Brake) to lock one motor at a time.This mode requires a proportional switch or a simple three-position switch to operate.
- Proportional Dig Mode. This completely original mode uses a transmitter's third channel that is proportional (button or dial), allowing drivers to vary the amount of Dig Power being applied to the motor. This innovative feature provides seemingly endless fine tuning of the Dig for the ultimate vehicle control.
- Single Output Mode is for applications with single motors or operation without a 3-channel transmitter. In this mode all four motor power wires can be soldered to one brush motor for higher performance, or connect two motors and control them both at the same time.
- Dual Independent Mode is for applications that require independent control over two motors, or one motor and an accessory item such as a winch. The throttle trigger controls one motor, and the transmitter's AUX/3rd channel controls the second motor or accessory item. All settings such as drag brake, dead band, and minimum drive equally apply to both motors. There is no dig function in this mode.
The M2 Dig not only gives racers four separate throttle profiles, but can also be easily adjusted via Novak's reliable on-board setup. There are four PCB-mounted LEDs to aid in programming and two different colored external LED indicator lights, located at the ends of six inch harnesses that visibly display when a motor is locked and the vehicle is ready to dig. The powerful speed control also comes equipped with instant reverse via Novak’s Zero Reverse Delay, which provides immediate power delivery in both forward and reverse directions.
No Modifications Needed
The M2 Dig 3S ESC does not require any vehicle modifications to install or operate. Simply plug it into any three-channel surface receiver, and you’re ready to crawl! This ESC is not only easy to install into a vehicle, but it possesses countless features on its own! Compared with a Dual ESC setup, the M2 allows racers to use top of the line crawling technology with just one speed control.
Novak Built & Supported
Novak takes pride in its manufacturing facility in Lake Forest, California and also with its use of high-quality components, assembly, and testing processes. Every Novak M2 Dig ESC is built and tested in the Novak factory to Novak’s exacting standards, are supported by Novak’s knowledgeable customer support staff and race team, and include Novak's One-Year Product Warranty.
- Fully programmable, user-friendly interface with five adjustable parameters: Drag Brake (10 settings), Dig Power (10 settings), Dead Band (5 settings), Minimum Drive (10 settings), Drive Frequency (10 settings) and Voltage Cut-Off (3 settings – Off, Li-Po, Li-Fe)
- Four throttle profiles: Dig Mode, Proportional Dig Mode, Single Output Mode, and Dual-Independent Mode
- Independently powers the front or rear motors in a dual-motor crawler vehicle
- Operates on both 2S and 3S applications (an external BEC is required for 3S)
- Instant reverse via Novak's Zero Reverse Delay providing immediate power delivery in both forward and reverse
- Internal high-voltage 5-Amp Linear BEC
- Universal JST Input Plug for Ch. 2 and Ch. 3, which fits all popular brand receivers
- Water-resistant case with a protective silicone gasket to help keep out the elements
- Thermal Overload Protection to protect ESC from damage due to overheating
- Included cooling fan
- Features a set of power output pins for running cooling fans, auxiliary lights, scale winches, etc.
- Meets RoHS compliance and includes a one-year warranty
- Designed, assembled, and tested by Team Novak in Lake Forest, California using the best components from around the globe. All ESCs are 100% tested to ensure your product works right out of the box!
- M2 Dig:
- Motor Type: Brushed
- Fwd/Brk/Rev: F / B / R
- Input Cells (LiPo/Ni-MH): 2-3 Li-Po/Li-Fe cells or 4-9 NiMH cells (1.2V/cell)
- Size (in/mm): 1.16” x 1.47” (29.5 x 37.3 mm)
- Weight (oz/g): 1.30 oz. (36.9g)
- On-Resistance (ohms) (Dual Motor): 0.0016 ohm. at 25 degrees C trans. temp.
- On-Resistance (ohms) (Single Motor): 0.0008 ohm. at 25 degrees C trans. temp.
- Motor Limit: 27-turn (Single), 33-turn (Dual) 540-sized dual brushed motors
- BEC (volts / amps): 6.0 volts DC / 5.0 amps (requires external BEC on 3S)
- Wire Size (GA): 14G Super-Flex Copper-Strand Silicone Wire
- Status LEDs: 4 on-board; 2 external
- Voltage Cut-Off: 6.25V (2S Li-Po), 9.38V (3S Li-Po) (Automatic)
- Rock Star 45T:
- Number of Turns: 45 (#3547)
- Design: Stand-up Brushed
- Input Voltage: 2S Li-Po cells or 4-7 cells (1.2V/cell)
- Motor Size: 2.07" x 1.42" (52.7 x 36.1 mm)
- Shaft Diameter: 0.125" (3.2 mm) [accepts all 1/8" pinion gears]
- Bearing: Standard 3/8" x 1/8"
- Motor Weight: 5.97 oz., 169 grams
- Magnet: High-Strength Ferrite
*NOTE: The M2 Dig 3S ESC is easily programmed into most three-channel transmitters, such as the Spektrum® DX3R DSM2 3CH Surface Radio™, Airtronics'® M8 and M11 R/C Radios™, and a Traxxas® (TQ-3) Transmitter™. The Traxxas® (TQ-3) Transmitter™ must be modified with a three-position auxiliary switch to operate with the M2.
This product was added to our catalog on November 29, 2011.