EMD's NW2 switcher's lifetime was nearly cut short just three years after its introduction, with the establishment of the War Production Board in 1942, which dictated that EMD was to halt all production of switching locomotives, manufacturing only road diesels during the years of 1942 to 1945. However, such was the popularity of this end cab switching locomotive that after the restriction was lifted, the NW2 sprung back as many railroads placed orders for this little 1000hp powerhouse; today these locomotives can still be found enjoying continued service in rail yards.
Kato's own N scale NW2 replicates each and every rivet of prototype detail with pinpoint precision, while emphasizing low-speed, high-power pulling. It also features directional headlights (without any of the lightpiping equipment intruding on the interior cab detail), low profile wheels, illuminated numberboards, and Kato magnetic knuckle couplers.
- All locomotives will be equipped with body mounted KATO magnetic knuckle couplers
- Locomotives feature directional Golden White LED headlights and illuminated preprinted numberboards
- Sophisticated lightpiping keeps the visible cab interior free of lighting equipment
- Interior cab can be populated with N scale figures
- All new motor and mechanism design
- Locomotives is DCC friendly, able to take drop in decoders such as Digitrax DN123K3 or Train Control Systems K3D3
This product was added to our catalog on February 20, 2014