JQ Products "THE Car" 1/8 Competition Buggy Kit (w/THE Update!!!)
This is THE Car, from JQ Products! After years of testing and development, as well as months of waiting, THE Car is here!!! With a relentless passion for performance and a will that will not allow him to settle for 'good enough', Joseph Quagrine has done what many have said could not be accomplished. A one man army has designed, developed and produced a thoroughbred race chassis that can hold its own against a sea of vehicles backed by huge corporate teams. THE Car is a blend of unique and original features, incorporated with proven design concepts to provide you with a buggy that has the features you need to win.
NOTE: This kit includes all the running changes that have been made during the year, including spur gears, differential cross pins, fuel tank posts, shock shafts and hinge pins, along with reformulated plastics, that have been designed to be more durable.
- Lower Arms: The lower arms are interchangeable left to right, and are the shortest on the market. The reason for this is shorter arms make a car more responsive, and helps to maintain stability when it comes to things other than driver input. Short arms make the car track straight in bumps, and make it less sensitive to changes and surprising situations on the track.
- Arm Holders: The design of THE Car utilizes a wide front arm holder, and short arms. These design features give THE Car excellent rough track handling and jumping characteristics, as well as the option to be driven with an aggressive driving style. THE Car tracks straight and will hold its line in rhythm sections and woops with a greater level of stability and a very linear feel.
- C-Hubs: The C-Hub design is similar to what is used on the Losi XX-4. This design brings the point where the arm attaches to the hub inwards and also vertically closer to the wheel center, which makes the car more stable and less prone to flipping over. This also helps in rough track sections and when jumping, because as the suspension compresses, the wheels move more inwards and the suspension gets stiffer.
- Rear Arms: The Rear Arms are short compared to other cars, because they are the same length as the front arms. The arm holders on the rear are medium width, and not as wide as the front. These short arms give THE Car more steering and help to make it fast.
- Rear Hubs: The rear hubs allow the rear of the car to have the same offset as the front. To achieve this offset, the attachment is on the inside of the wheel center, not outside. This design provides you with a car that has superior corner speed, aggressive steering, with plenty of forward bite.
- Rear Roll Center Adjustment: Another unique feature about the rear end geometry is the use of multiple vertical holes on the rear arms for adjusting the hubs, as well as multiple positions on the hubs. This is done so that the suspension travel and ride height will be unchanged regardless of which hole is used. The top hole provides more traction and forces the suspension to stiffen up more when compressed, the lower hole reduces traction, allowing the rear end to slide more. This design makes the rear end adjustable enough that anyone can find their preferred set up, no matter what their driving style is.
- Steering Rack: The steering bell cranks are connected by an ackermann plate, and the steering links are connected directly to the bell cranks. The advantage of this design is the steering is more linear, and there is no point in the steering travel that the car feels like it steers more than at others. Three different length ackermann plates can be used to adjust the amount of overall steering, providing a variety of tuning options to suit any driving style.
- Shocks: “Bigger isn't better, better is better.” A variety of shock sizes and lengths were tested, and a shock with a 14.5mm piston diameter proved to be superior for THE Car. This design feature provides excellent bump handling characteristics and the ability to soak up rough landings, as well as minimizing the sprung and un-sprung weight.
- Radio Tray: The radio tray is designed so that it is easy to remove either servo, the transponder, or receiver battery, without removing anything other than the part you want to change, and the receiver or battery box lids! Its a design that focuses on simplicity and there are no small parts to lose and no small openings to route wires through.
- Adjustable Weight Distribution: THE Car is designed so the center diff-mount, and engine can be moved forwards or backwards 8mm. The advantage of having this unique adjustment available, is that you can set up THE Car to perfectly suit any track condition! When the track has big jumps, hairpin turns, and technical sections you can move the weight forward. When the track is fast, with sweeping corners, and a rough, bumpy surface you can move the weight back.
- Center Differential Mount: The CNC machined aluminum center differential mount is a laydown design that was developed in 2006 and has many advantages over a standard plastic mount. It is a simple design with a small footprint that uses a single link for the brakes, allowing the mount to be moved forward or backwards with little effort. It is strong, stiff, and consistent when exposed to hot weather, heat from the engine, and friction from brakes. The design also allows the center differential to be removed without affecting the brake settings.
- Universal Drive Shafts: Because of these design flaws associated with CVD drive shafts, universal drive shafts have been chosen for the front and rear of THE Car. With smooth rotating, light, reliable and easy to replace dog bones for the center.
- Differentials: The differentials used for THE Car are a standard design, with a primary focus on durability and fluid capacity. These are important aspects, and in those area's they are as good or better than any other car. What sets THE Car apart from the others in this area is that the differentials are the lightest differentials of any car currently available!
- Fuel Tank: THE fuel tank is a new generation type tank, with a clunk fuel pick up system. This allows the engine to keep a constant supply of fuel even when the car is upside down. Other features include fuel line clips that are attached to the tank body, 1cc and 2cc inserts for adjusting the volume, and a built in splash guard to help prevent fuel from getting on the brakes. The pressure line is not attached to the cap, instead it is attached to the fuel tank next to the cap to protect the pressure line from damage, allows for a smaller fuel access hole in the body, and also because the tank looks much cleaner.
- No Slop Wheel Attachment: By making the hole in the drive shaft elongated towards the inside, the hex pin can now move inwards. This means, that when the grub screw in the axle is tightened, it forces the pin and the hex along with it inwards towards the wheel bearing. A crush spacer is added between the bearings to prevent the bearings from binding. Because there are a lot of variables in this area to get the tolerances right, 0.1mm shims have been included that need to be used in the event that after tightening the grub screw, the bearings tighten up. This is an area that requires attention when building THE Car.
- Body & Wing: THE Wing has not been wind tunnel tested. It was designed to look cool and fast, be light, and in theory create down force, instead of acting as a weight, and air brake. The design was influenced by the wings found on airplanes, only upside down with a few tweaks to make it look cooler. THE Body was designed purely based on looks, to make it look like a car.
- Narrow Layout: THE Car features one of the narrowest chassis ever seen on a 1/8 buggy. A narrow car is more nimble and fast compared to a wider one.
- Central Engine Placement: The key to building a narrow car.
- Revolutionary Adjustable Weight Distribution: Engine and Center Differential move 8mm forwards or back. The most useful tuning aid that can be changed based on track and driving style. Directly affects lap times in a big way.
- Laydown Brake System: In order to make the weight distribution change easily, and make removal of the center differential easy, the lay down brake design was the way to go.
- Simple Throttle/Brake Linkage: The simplest design on the market, because simple is always better.
- Left/Right Weight Balance: Optimized left to right balance, because we turn both ways on our tracks.
- Lightweight: Out of the box, THE Car weighs about 3240g. Because no matter what anyone says, a lighter car is faster, wears less, consumes less fuel and is easier on tires.
- Servo Saver: THE Car features a "fail safe" servo saver that does not require thread lock. It will not work loose.
- Radio Tray: The first un-complicated radio tray. The design allows for fast and easy servo changes, while leaving the tray in the car. Everything on the tray can be changed with the tray installed, and linkage intact.
- Rear End Geometry: Distinctive rear end geometry design allows for great on power traction, acceleration and corner speed.
- Rear Roll Center: New style roll-center adjustments on the rear.
- EU/US Compatibility: Designed for European and American tracks and drivers. Designed to perform well on Euro style tracks and driving styles, where maximum corner speed is required, as well as US style tracks with big jumps and rough surfaces.
- Shocks: 14.5mm threaded, hard-anodized shocks with 3.5mm shock shafts. Because bigger isn’t better, better is better! A variety of shock sizes were tested, and these were found to be the best for THE Car.
- Shock Towers: THE Car is equipped with 5mm CNC aluminum Shock Towers as standard equipment and features the JQ Products trademark branding.
- Arm Holders/Suspension Blocks: Hard Anodized CNC aluminum Arm Holders are included as standard equipment. They use inserts to tune the toe-in, anti-squat and kick-up.
- Steering: Optimized steering geometry allows for maximum, yet linear steering, as well as reduced bump-steer. Steering = Corner speed = Fast Lap times = Wins. It’s all about steering.
- Chassis Braces: THE Car uses molded composite front and rear chassis braces.
- Clutch: THE Car includes a 3-shoe clutch system, with aluminum clutch shoes.
- Chassis: THE Car includes a lightened aluminum 4mm hard-anodized chassis with ballast locations as standard equipment. Because THE Car is underweight when lightweight options are installed.
- Steering Knuckles: CNC aluminum Steering Knuckles are included as standard equipment. Plastic or cast pot metal knuckles are for RTR's, even if they don’t break.
- Fuel Tank: THE Car uses a clunk style fuel tank because we all crash, and it feeds fuel to the engine while upside down.
Vehicle: 1:8 Nitro 4WD
Internal Gear Ratio: 3.90:1
*THE Note: Weight measured with OS Speed, 2060 pipe, ProLine Rims, closed cell foam, Holeshot tires, LRP 1600 LiFe Receiver Pack.
Items Needed for Completion:
- .21 Nitro Engine
- Tuned Exhaust System
- 2 Channel Radio System and 8 AA Batteries
- High Torque Steering & Brake Servo's (2)
- Receiver Battery
- Tires, Wheels & Tire Glue
- Silicone Shock Fluid
- Silicone Differential Fluid
- Glow Driver
- Starter Box & Batteries
- Nitro Fuel & Fuel Bottle
- Paint for Polycarbonate Body
- Charger for Receiver Pack & Starter Box Batteries
This product was added to our catalog on December 15, 2010.