Axial Racing "Yeti XL" 1/8 4WD Electric Monster Buggy Kit
This is the Axial "Yeti XL" 1/8 Scale 4WD Electric Monster Buggy Kit. Now in kit form, the Yeti XL monster buggy kit is a skillfully engineered truck with a solid rear axle and independent front suspension. Its distinct aesthetic and technical elements were inspired by full-size desert trucks. Its strategically engineered design supplies bashing stamina while delivering a high level of technical rock racing abilities without compromise in either category.
This kit version will accept standard 1/8th scale brushless 4-pole systems and most industry standard stick packs. Precision Icon Vehicle Dynamics aluminum shocks are standard equipment and deliver smooth suspension movement for consistent handling. Axial has also included a rear sway bar (medium, 3.4mm), 3mm aluminum lower link plates, aluminum 17mm hex hubs and nuts, adjustable steel turnbuckles, and officially licensed 3.8 Falken WildPeak M/T tires in their S30 compound.
AR60 XL Solid Rear Axle
The AR60 XL solid rear axle is constructed from high strength composite material which has a low flex rate but is not as brittle as standard glass filled nylon. An added reinforced axle truss strengthens the rear axle by reducing flex and by distributing the force of potentially damaging impacts. The combination of our axles and a true 4-link suspension gives you optimal performance for any terrain with the look of a real 1:1 vehicle. Maintenance is easy - simply remove four screws to access the rear differential.
17mm Aluminum Hex Hubs
Industry standard 17mm hex hubs, hard anodized with a 3x17mm steel pin and set screw. The machined serrated 17mm nut helps eliminate wheels from coming loose by biting into the wheel as you tighten them down. The front universals feature an all metal, super strong CVJ design and they're completely rebuildable. The benefit of a universal joint is an increased steering angle and precise fitment for an efficient driveline. The captured pin design allows for better reliability and easier maintenance.
- ICON VEHICLE DYNAMICS SHOCKS: Icon Vehicle Dynamics aluminum shocks feature Big Bore 16™ precision machined pistons which offer smooth performance throughout the range of travel. Made to tight tolerances, these aluminum shocks feature clear coated polished aluminum bodies and are threaded for quick ride height adjustments and pre-load tuning. They also feature non-functional aluminum shock reservoirs with official Icon Vehicle Dynamics graphics for realistic scale looks!
- 3.8 RACELINE MONSTER WHEELS: Raceline is by far the most popular wheel for extreme off-road duty. Their ability to stand up to the abuse demanded by the full-size racer and their show quality finish is second to none. The officially licensed Raceline Monster gives the Yeti XL™ that authentic racing look as well as providing the strength to handle whatever you can dish out! With a name like Monster, you know this Raceline wheel is ready to bash!
- 3.8 FALKEN WILDPEAK M/T TIRES - S30: The WildPeak All Terrain tire has amazing traction on many surfaces, even with its rather conservative pattern. This fact alone has had the entire industry on the edge of their seats waiting to see what the Falken rubber will be able to do with a more aggressive pattern. The WildPeak M/T version of this tire is here, albeit in a prototype stage. These prototypes are already being put through their paces by the who's who of the off road world. With tremendous success in competitive rock racing, this tire is already in very high demand. The Axial S30 compound will offer the performance you have come to expect from Axial.
- 3mm ALUMINUM LOWER LINK PLATES: Includes four hard anodized 3mm aluminum lower link plates for added durability and stiffness of the rear 4-link suspension.
- LONG TRAVEL REAR SWAY BAR: The pursuit of horsepower and the ability to put the power to the ground is one of the main aspects of offroad racing. This unique torsion bar design with long pivot arms used in conjunction with the long travel suspension is designed to help control the torque twist associated with massive power. This system also helps reduce body roll and adds stability at high speeds.
- 4-LINKED REAR SUSPENSION: The Yeti™ features the proven AR60 rear axle with a completely new 4-linked rear suspension. The Yeti™ chassis offers three upper link positions to adjust the anti-squat. The lower link mounts can be flipped to change the roll center. These advanced tuning options will help you get the most performance from your rig.
- ADJUSTABLE STEEL TURNBUCKLES: CNC machined turnbuckles for precision and steel construction for durability. Left and right handed threads for adjustments on the fly.
- INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION (IFS): The Yeti™ is equipped with an Independent Front Suspension [IFS] system to help maintain high speed stability when running through a diverse range of terrain. Every rock the Yeti XL™ will encounter is individual. They come in random sizes and are scattered throughout the course, making the terrain varied from one side of the vehicle to the other. The IFS system allows you to better control the intended direction of travel at high speeds when one side is adjusting to overcome road obstructions. This stability that the IFS front end provides is paramount when rock bashing.
- DUAL RATE SPRINGS: Each shock absorber utilizes two springs which work together to form a dual rate setup. The upper spring is softer and works by a absorbing smaller bumps and whoops. The lower spring is stiffer and does the heavy work by absorbing the impact from large rocks and big jumps.
- WB XL CVJ REAR DRIVESHAFT: This design uses less parts for a stronger, more durable and tighter fitment. While this is a more compact design, it uses larger diameter bearings to keep the input gear stable under instant heavy power. Axial has continually developed our plastic driveshafts and has taken this accumulative knowledge and put it into this beefy driveshaft. The composite material was specifically chosen for it's resistance to heat and the ability to withstand direct impact.
- DUAL SLIPPER CLUTCH: Our dual slipper design uses an aluminum pad on each side of the spur gear which provides the right amount of slip for performance and heat resistance for durability. The all-metal spur gear features 32 pitch gearing for high torque applications. The protective transmission cover helps keep dirt and debris out of your pinion and spur gear for a quiet and efficient drivetrain, and it also prevents any loose wires from getting chewed up!
- All-METAL / HI-LO TRANSMISSION: Metal where it matters most! The Yeti XL™ features an all metal gear transmission specifically designed for this chassis, along with CNC cut metal gears in both the front and rear differentials. With all metal internal gears, this full ball bearing transmission has the strength to endure the harshest rock racing environment and brushless power. The factory gearbox comes as a single speed with the high gear installed for high speed fun. The integrated motor mount features a wide range of movement for endless gearing options. (Optional two-speed transmission component sold separately.)
- CNC METAL CUT GEARS: Massive brushless power requires heavy duty drivetrain components. The Yeti XL™ features hardened steel CNC cut metal gears in both the front and rear differentials for the ultimate in strength and durability.
- WB XL CVJ PROP SHAFT: The rebuildable prop shaft delivers the power from the transmission to the front differential. The prop shaft features an all metal, super strong CVJ design and they're completely rebuildable.
- EASY ACCESS BATTERY TRAY: Twin battery trays can be easily accessed by removing the two front body pins and pivoting the entire body up. Install or remove your batteries by removing the remaining body pins. Foam blocks are included to help keep the batteries in place.
- Battery tray dimensions:
Height: 1.3in (33mm)
Width: 1.7in (43mm)
- RECEIVER BOX, WATERPROOF: A waterproof receiver box is integrated into the bottom of the Yeti XL™ chassis. Three different silicone seals are included, one for the antenna, one for the servo wires (includes three slots for three channels), and one acts as a gasket for the receiver box cover. No more stress when running in mud, water, or snow! NOTE: Electronics not included.
- FUEL CELL WEIGHT BOX: The scale fuel cell doubles as a weight box, or additional electronics box.
- SWAPPABLE DRIVER HELMET STYLES: Includes realistic driver figures complete with a race suit and two sets of three different interchangeable helmets with decals: a motocross, open skull-face or motorsport version of the helmet are included. Choose your own style! Decals included.
- REALISTIC SCALE DETAILS: Realistic scale details include: Inspired by real race cage design, polycarbonate interior tray with molded driver figures and dashboard, and six black styrene helmets with decals.
- SPARE TIRE CARRIER: Spare wheel and tire included with a quick release spinner for mounting.
- CLEAR POLYCARBONATE PLASTIC BODY: The kit includes an unpainted body molded in tough .040 thick polycarbonate plastic, ready for your custom paint scheme. The body bolts to the scale Y-480 cage assembly using multiple mounting points.
Length: 25.75in (654mm)
Width: 16.3in (414mm)
Height: 11.10in (282mm)
Wheelbase: 18.5in (470mm)
Ground Clearance: 2.48in (63mm)
Recommended Battery: 2x 2S 7.4V LiPo packs, or 2x 3S 11.1V LiPo packs
Weight: 12.75lbs (5.78kg) (weight with electronics)
Needed To Complete:
- 2-Channel Radio System
- 1/8 Scale Electronic Speed Control
- 1/8 Scale Motor
- Steering Servo
- Polycarbonate Paint
- (2) 2S LiPo Battery or (2) 3S LiPo Battery
- Compatible Battery Charger
This product was added to our catalog on March 20, 2015.
Only things I've had go wrong are a stripped hex (due to huge brushless system) and a broken front a arm (clipped the one rock within a square mile field). On a serious note, I would suggest 2 upgrades: an aluminum front top plate as the plastic top plate stripped out after removing it for maintaince, and harder foams for the tires. I run the XL on an 1/8th scale outdoor track with 30wt. Shock oil in rear and crawler innovation dual stage foams.
A front sway bar kit would be nice too. I tried axials front sway bar kit; junk.)