The Axial Capra 1.9 Unlimited Trail Buggy Builder’s Kit is a fresh, ground up design that any hard core crawler will appreciate. Currie F9 Portal Axles and an included DIG transmission provide much needed ground clearance at the pumpkin, combined with switch on the fly functionality that allows you to switch from 4WD to FWD on the fly, directly from your 3-channel transmitter — locking the rear axle for a tighter turning radius and improved crawling performance. The Capra features a realistic tube chassis design and metal gears everywhere, from the center transmission to the lockers and portal axles. It rides on licensed Raceline 3-piece molded beadlock wheels that can be fitted with whatever 1.9 tires you prefer.
NOTE: Finished model shown in photos is for illustrative purposes only. See needed to complete list below for a full listing of parts needed to complete the model.
- CURRIE F9 PORTAL AXLES: Licensed Currie F9 Portal Axles provide substantial ground clearance at the diff pumpkin while also providing an excellent 7.39:1 gear ratio. Completely ball bearing driven, and metal gears throughout for durability.
- HI-PINION GEARS: The ring and pinion gears are machined steel, including the locker. The design utilizes a six bolt design for durability.
- DIG TRANSMISSION: The transmission has a DIG function that offers the tightest turning radius on a production crawler in the industry. When needed, simply switch from 4WD to front-wheel-drive by locking the rear axle from your transmitter. The transmission also includes a full set of ball bearings and all metal internal gears for strength and durability. NOTE: Dig functionality requires an additional micro servo, not included. SPMSSX107 Micro Dig Servo recommended.
- UNIVERSAL AXLE SET: Universal joint axles allow up to 45 degrees of steering and provide smoother action for a higher performing, efficient drivetrain.
- Up to 45 degrees of steering
- Smooth action for an efficient drivetrain
- Compact yet durable design
- Hardened steel construction
- WB8 HD WILDBOAR™ DRIVESHAFTS: WB8 HD Wildboar™ front and rear driveshafts feature a larger diameter cross pin (2x11mm) along with an M4 Screw Shaft (2mm hex drive) for greater strength. A center splined slider floats between each end and has added material to reduce flex and fatigue.
- 6MM STAINLESS STEEL LINKS: Strong 6mm stainless steel links with high grade plastic rod ends for durability. All links are metal including the steering.
- STAINLESS STEEL PIVOT BALLS: All pivot points are on stainless steel balls that provide a durable, long-lasting suspension point.
- SKIDPLATE WITH BOAT SIDES: The Capra features a small skidplate footprint with boat sides to help maneuver and slide over rough, challenging obstacles.
- STAINLESS STEEL STEERING LINKS: The steering links are also made from 6mm stainless steel, offering precise steering and durability.
- LARGE BORE ALUMINUM SHOCKS: The oil-filled shocks feature hard anodized, threaded shock bodies and a single coilover spring. Their increased bore size creates more fluid volume for better performance. A bleed screw helps to bleed air from the shock during assembly for greater consistency. The shocks are also tunable so you can achieve the best dampening rate. Springs included:
- AXI233006 Spring 13x70mm 1.72lbs/in Red (2) Soft
- AXI233008 Spring 13x70mm 2.4lbs/in Green (2) Firm
- 4-LINK SUSPENSION: The suspension geometry has been fine-tuned with multiple mounting locations for the upper link mounts to provide the best crawling capabilities.
- 1.9, 3-PIECE BEADLOCK WHEELS: For striking scale looks and serious trail performance, the Capra™ is outfitted with officially licensed 3-piece Raceline Monster beadlock wheels. NOTE: Tires are not included.
- LED LIGHT BAR: A roof mounted LED light bar helps light the way on those late night crawls with your friends. Additional LED lights can be added to the front headlights (optional LED lights not included).
- REALISTIC INTERIOR: Realistic scale details include: polycarbonate interior tray with molded driver figures, full color pre-cut decals with simulated carbon fiber panels, mock GPS navigation gauges and switches, two black styrene helmets with visor decals, and more!
- GRILLE AND HEADLIGHT BUCKETS: The molded plastic front grille features two clear plastic headlight lenses with light buckets (optional LED lights not included). Behind the grille, under the hood, are two hood mounts with clips. Remove the clips to raise the hood up and gain access to the battery tray.
- ESC / RECEIVER TRAY: Tucked under the front dash is a cage mounted ESC / receiver tray with integrated, adjustable cable routing to keep your wiring organized.
- BATTERY TRAY: The battery tray is forward mounted, and located under the hood. The tray size is built for shorty packs, at a maximum size of 26mm x 98mm x 47mm.
- HOOD RELEASE: Remove the clips hidden on the underside of the tube frame to raise the hood up and gain access to the battery tray.
- SERVO HORN WITH METAL INSERT: The servo horn features a 23T press fit metal insert for durability.
Length: 17.0" (432mm)
Width: 10.25" (260mm)
Height: 8.25" (210mm)
Wheelbase: 12.5" (318mm)
Ground Clearance: 3.0" (76mm)
Weight: 4lb (1.8kg)
Needed to Complete:
- 3 Channel Radio System (minimum for dig operation)
- ESC & Motor
- High Torque Servo
- 7.2V NiMH or 7.4V LiPo Battery
- AA Batteries for Transmitter
- Charger compatible with chosen battery chemistry
- 1.9 Size Crawler Tires
- Polycarbonate Paint
- Tools for Assembly
https://youtu.be/uWuhQ63mRII To see it in action
I have other Axial branded rigs and all were kits; Wraith, SCX10II Cherokee and UMG10, Yeti, all had their deviations in upgrades.
Yet the Capra was the easiest to build while keeping to stock components, albeit I forgone the DIG for 4WS. The new plastic composition is much better for my hands. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and dealing with fasteners that require only the slightest bit of torque, tend to get stripped, not so much an issue with the Capra.
Boomracing alloy wheels, Pro Line Super Swampers TSL/SX, Crawler Innovations 4.75 (f/soft, r/med), Hobbywing AXE 2300, CC BEC, Reefs RC 422's, Spectrum SR515/DX5C, SSD Overdrive in the front axle, Hobbystar 3s 3700mah.
Took it out for the first run just a couple days ago... a first, no break downs or failures, I gave it fair chance to do so in 40 degree weather. 3 hours and only used 1 1/2 batteries.
Honestly I think this kit is the best one to come out yet for Axial, and the only drawback is for scale points is the lack of CMS.
Its a little wider than I had hoped for, still much better suited for my trails than the GMade GOM.
It's a keeper and sure to be a regular runner for me.
Not looking for views, but if interested in seeing it against a couple other rigs, it can be found on my channel, Terra Quest RC. https://youtu.be/Ce9r8f0l5qg
The best thing is the you get all metal gears in the transmission and dig. Plus stainless steel links. Keep in mind one end of the links is revers threaded and the hole in the links are far making adjustments (just like a tie rod). This means you can make sure your axles are Parallel to one another and chassis.(if you’re really a perfectionist). I would definitely recommend the Capra. Good out of box performance.
Ps. Watch you tube videos on building it. Instructions are vague and sections are a bit incorrect. I’m not going to let that affect my review. I rarely use them after it’s Assembled. I Hope Axial will revisit the instruction manual. Well kit done otherwise.
Everywhere passes and there are no problems with overhangs, in any dirt with pleasure.
Thank you very much)))
With that being said Horizon could have made the options for the micro servo a lil better. They could have supplied the servo saver parts with the kit instead of with the servo they recommended. Still with that being the biggest issue. The recommended servo does work very well.
I would definitely recommend this kit to anyone that is really interested in this truck. Just keep an eye on the parts you are getting for it. Maybe add a smaller pinion gear to your order as running 3S on a 35 turn motor does get a bit warm on the ESC.
A good truck and lots of fun.
Have fun and lots of it.
Amain processed the order quick and got it to me in great time, even with everything going on. Top notch service as always