Serpent S811 "Cobra" 1/8 Scale Competition Buggy Kit w/V2 Radio Tray
NOTE: Our Serpent S811 kits now include the updated V2 radio tray! The V2 radio tray package includes all the necessary parts and hardware for the conversion, as well as an updated instruction sheet.
This is the Serpent S811 Cobra 1/8 Scale Competition Buggy Kit. This chassis has been designed by Billy Easton to take the 1/8 scale buggy class to the next level by outperforming everything else on the track and providing the racer with the ultimate package. The Serpent S811 Cobra has been designed to provide optimum balance, the lightest possible weight, and effortless maintenance in order to provide the consumer with a product that has the tools out of the box to outperform all the previous buggies they had ever used, whether Pro or Privateer. Serpent’s goal was not just to release another car. The main goal was to produce the best performing car in the market place with a level of quality that is second to none. When you see the parts quality and overall finish of the car you will wonder how Serpent could produce such a high quality car for the price. Then you will wonder why all manufacturers’ cars are not of the same caliber.
- Geometry: With over 15 different manufacturers tested and countless hours of driving, the geometry is well proven. So many different concepts and suspension styles have been taken into account; any driver will be more than pleased with the S811 Cobra package. The geometry is set up for maximum performance with the most efficient cornering in mind. Utilizing proven roll centers, shock progression and camber links.
- Weight Balance: The front to back and left to right balance have been greatly enhanced over even some of the most recent buggies. You will definitely not find one side of this vehicle dragging the ground over another. The balance is perfect and it is barely if at all affected by the different types of batteries available.
- Gear Ratio: The S811 Cobra’s 4.3:1 gear ratio has been proven to give you the most possible acceleration and also allow you to use a much larger variety of clutch bells. This gives the racer the option to gear his car down on a short track if needed. Attention to small details such as this can be the difference between winning and losing.
- Suspension/Shocks: The suspension is comprised of suspension arms that are almost identical in length, to allow you to maintain corner speed, as well as aid in rough track handling by using proven design concepts and updating them for modern day competition. The 16mm Big Bore shocks will allow you to soak up even the harshest landings on any track world wide as well as help to prevent thermal break down of the shock oil during long mains.
- Engine Placement: The engine location is a forward placement design and has been maximized to allow for forward placement. But an ideal placement has been found to allow for aggressive handling without compromising the cars overall balance.
- 4 Shoe Clutch: After countless hours of testing different types of clutches it was determined that a 4 shoe clutch was the best overall choice. Allowing the racer the ability to balance the clutch for carbon and aluminum shoes, as well as utilizing the simplest building concept, the S811 Cobra clutch allows the user to mix and match clutch shoes to perfectly tune the clutch to the specific track conditions. The S811 clutch system will also allow the user to build multiple units that can be changed out quickly.
- Steering System: The S811 Cobra steering system is the most advanced system ever devised. The bell crank system is angled to better match the caster angle, with an optimized turnbuckle length to eliminate bump steer. The brilliant ackerman design allows changes to be made without the need for link adjustments. Simply change the ackerman plate, reset the radio endpoints and hit the track.
- Body & Rear Wing: The S811 Cobra body is extremely low profile and fits the chassis like a glove in all the right places with equal proportion cab and sides. The rear of the body is scooped to provide additional down force, which helps guide air to the rear wing. The wing has a combination of different air foils with 2 fins inside of the side damns to aid in keeping the rear of the car planted while providing great side grip and excellent control while flying through the air.
- Anti-Roll Bars: The kit anti-roll bars are a conventional type, produced with bent piano wire with laser engraved identification marking. But the S811 Cobra Roll Bars are supported by ball bearings to insure they never get sloppy and provide consistent control. An additional anti roll bar kit will be available as an option that is very advanced and even easier for the racer to adjust the wire sizes on the fly.
- Ball Bearings: The differentials, drive shafts, and all other ball raced components are supported by high quality rubber sealed bearings and are as good or better than the bearings included in any kit.
- Fuel Tank: The fuel tank utilizes a floating clunk design so the engine wont starve if the car spends too much time on its lid, while the tank top has an overflow to help guide any unwanted fuel out the bottom of the chassis. The tank lid has been designed to minimize splashing during pit stops, as well as prevent fuel contamination to the critical parts inside the vehicle.
- Transmission: The transmission drive shafts are all captured, so never again will you worry about losing a pin in long main or at local events. It has been designed so that no matter what, your drive train will stay assembled so you will finish any event without troubles regardless of the race length. The drive shafts are produced using tool grade spring-steel and coated with the unique Serpent factory brown finish. They are also laser etched for easy identification. You will not be disappointed in the quality and strength here.
- Brake System: The brake system has been simplified to help you set your brake system the same every time, no matter how many cars you build. The parts have also been lowered to help keep the CG as low as possible. It uses a piston system and provides superior braking like you have never felt before. Several optional brake upgrades will be available to fine tune the braking system in a way that has never been seen before.
- Servo Linkage & Camber Links: The servo linkage and camber links have been captured to eliminate the worry of losing a ball cup when you are on a TQ run. This car was developed with one thing in mind, to finish first, you must first finish.
- Electronics Installation: The electronics installation may be a little tricky the first time, with a couple new steps you have never had to do before. So for some it will be a bit foreign, however after you do it a time or two you will appreciate the packaged unit you get when finished. The assembly is very clean, tidy and simple to remove from the car with no parts that look like they are just barely hanging on and out of place.
- Chassis, Chassis Stiffeners & Flex Control: After lots of testing the plastic stiffeners that are provided in the kit control the flex in all the right places to help you make it through the roughest terrain. The car is not too rigid, but also is not too flexible.
This product was added to our catalog on June 4, 2010.