This is the Novak Timbuk2 Crawler Brushless Electronic Speed Control and 13.5 Turn Ballistic Crawler Motor combo. The sport of Rock Crawling has become a major part of the R/C world, and Team Novak is proud to introduce their newest and smallest rock crawling ESC to the brushless crawler line up, the Timbuk2. The Timbuk2 is designed to work with Novak's Rock Crawling Ballistic and older-style Super Sport Crawling Motors. Basic operation of the ESC remains similar to its predecessors the Goat 2S and Goat 3S, but Novak has taken the advice of rock crawlers and completely updated the braking adjustability and other features of the Timbuk2. These updated brake adjustments mean even more control and response from your crawler.
Taking the Mystery out of Adjustability: A feature that is central to the Timbuk2 is the complete on-board programming. No extra devices, plugs or cards are needed to maximize the features of this ESC. The Timbuk2's easy-to-use button and LEDs will guide drivers to their desired setting and allow them to make changes ON THE ROCKS! But have no fear, if adjusting and tuning is not your game, the setup out of the box works extremely well. You can tune anything from the strength of the brakes, to how smooth the throttle response is, and even the rotation of the motor. With dozens of combinations, the Timbuk2 has what you've been searching for in a Brushless Rock Crawling ESC.
Advanced Technology: In addition to its compact and lightweight design, the Timbuk2 uses advanced MOSFETS that are incredibly powerful, yet small in size. This has allowed Novak to create a powerful ESC that boasts tons of power. Another sophisticated feature is the Novak-developed Rock Boost™. When the Timbuk2 reaches full speed for a fixed amount of time, Rock Boost engages and electronic timing advance is applied to the motor. This allows you to have ultra-fine low speed control, unstoppable torque, along with the top speed and higher RPMs of much faster motors. No need to use pricey 3S LiPo batteries for the speed you need.
The Timbuk2 also features completely updated braking adjustability with three distinct types of drag brakes. In addition to standard Hill/Drag brakes, and No Drag Brakes, the third braking style available is Novak’s exclusive Rock Crawling Hill/Hold Brakes for use with heavy rigs and serious rock crawling. This braking method applies stopping power to the motor to hold the rig in place.
The Ballistic Crawler Brushless Motors are Novak’s next-generation Ballistic motors. The high-performance Ballistic Crawlers are expected to be some of the most sought after brushless crawling motors on the market. Because of their extreme versatility, the Ballistic Crawler Motors can tackle all crawling conditions with a simple stator switch. The crawler-specific hardware is located outside of the hand-wound stators, drivers can replace the stators at any time to properly combat any type of terrain or course.
High End Crawler Motor: Like all Novak Ballistic motors, the Ballistic Crawlers contain heavy-duty solder tabs and a removable nine-inch shielded sensor harness. By taking advantage of the Ballistics’ interchangeable wound stator construction, crawlers can simply replace the installed stator for any available stator between 13.5 and 21.5 turns. The motors are also equipped with a custom-silicone gasket seal to keep dirt and debris from damaging the motors’ sensor plug. The Ballistic Crawler motors also include a Crawling Sintered Tuning Rotor - 14mm (#5950). The rotor’s large diameter and exclusive magnetic material provide the motors with more torque and stronger braking. It also increases natural drag braking and improves the motors’ initial throttle response, providing more control on steep climbs and downhill descents.
- Designed especially for the demands of crawling vehicles to maneuver over the toughest terrain
- Sensor-based for excellent torque and low-speed driveability
- Compact and lightweight design
- Novak’s exclusive Rock Boost™ electronic timing advance to drastically increase motor RPM at full throttle (in both clockwise and counter-clockwise motor rotations)
- Three distinct types of Hill/Drag Brake for significantly stronger brakes that can hold the heaviest rigs on the steepest inclines
- Compatible with 540-size and 380-size Novak Crawling Brushless Motors
- Water-resistant case with silicone gasket seal to help keep out the elements
- Two ESCs in One—when used with a standard brushless motor, the Timbuk 2 utilizes the Novak Edge ESC non-crawling software and can be run with a 10.5T or higher sensored brushless motor
- Built-In Voltage Cut-Off Circuitry prevents damage to LiPo/LiFe batteries
- Medium-duty BEC for high-torque single servo applications. Don't let the specs fool you--all ESC's BECs are not created equal. The Timbuk2's 2A BEC will go toe-to-toe with many other higher rated units.
- Built-In 6V output for optional accessory fan or other detail items such as running lights
- User friendly One-Touch programming interface with five colored status LEDs to help personalize the speed control's settings
- 10 adjustable parameters: Hill/Drag Brake, Minimum Drive, Dead Band, Throttle Curve (Linear/Expo), Brake Frequency, Reverse End Point, Drive Frequency, Novak Rock Boost™, Motor Rotation and Voltage Cut-Off
- Built-in diagnostic temperature monitoring that lets you quickly check the ESC's operating temperature at any time
- On-board Hall Sensor Test to easily and quickly verify that the motor's sensors are working properly
- Thermal Overload Protection circuitry to protect the ESC from overheating
- Novak's One-Touch Set-Up™ for quick, easy transmitter set-up
- Plug-and-Play-- Factory wired with Tamiya®-style battery plug & gold-plated Bullet motor plugs
- Gold-plated direct-solder wiring tabs for flexible soldering options
- Factory installed power capacitor
- User-replaceable input harness
- Meets RoHS compliance and includes a 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty
- Designed, assembled and tested by Novak in Irvine, Calif., using globally sourced components
Ballistic Crawler Features:
- Sensor-based for excellent braking and low-speed driveability
- Compatible with Novak's Timbuk2, Goat 2S, Goat 3S and other crawling brushless ESCs
- Oversized front motor bearing [1/2” x 3/16” (12.7 x 4.8mm)] for increased load handling and bearing life
- Completely rebuildable motor design
- Nickel-plated Crawling Sintered Tuning Rotor -- 14mm (#5950) with 0.125” pinion shaft that accepts all existing pinion gears included with Ballistic Crawler motors.
- Meets RoHS compliance and includes 120-Day Warranty
- Designed and assembled by Novak in Irvine, Calif., using globally-sourced components
Fwd/Brk/Rev: F / Drag Brake / R (F / B / R when used with a non-crawling motor)
Input Cells: 2S LiPo/LiFe or 4-7 NiMH
Size: 1.15x0.95x0.66" (29.0x24.3x16.8mm)
Weight (w/o wires): 0.69 oz. (19.5g)
On-Resistance: 0.00057 ohms @ 25° transistor temperature
Motor Limit: 540-size: 13.5T (Novak Crawling Version Brushless Motors only); 380-size: All sensored brushless
BEC: 6.0 volts DC / 2.0 amps (#3224 model includes 5A BEC Module for 7A total)
Power Wire Size: 14G Super-Flex Copper-Strand Silicone Wire
Status LEDs: 5
Battery/Motor Plug: Tamiya-style battery and gold-plated Bullet motor plugs factory-installed
Ballistic Crawler Specifications:
Motor: 13.5T (NOV3614)
Motor Size: 2.07x1.41” (52.6x35.8mm)
Motor Weight: 6.6oz. (187.0g)
Sensor Harness: 9” (230mm)
This product was added to our catalog on November 2, 2011.