This is the Axial AX10 "Ridgecrest" RTR 1/10th 4WD Electric R/C Rock Crawler. The original AX10 Scorpion hit the market in April of 2007 and quickly brought crawling to the mainstream becoming the most influential crawler in the industry. Since then, Axial has made numerous advancements through a variety of chassis designs and has developed new categories within the crawling segment.
While the shaft-driven AX10 chassis made crawling available to the masses, the market was split into two categories; scale and competition. Axial answered both with the development of the SCX10 realistic metal c-channel frame which became the de-facto chassis for the scale scene, while the XR10 answered the call for a motor-on-axle competition rig and claimed the national title. Then, with a close eye on development within the full-size rock racing niche, Axial delivered the Wraith, further expanding the radio control crawling/rock racing categories.
April 2012 marks the five year anniversary of the AX10 and Axial felt that it was time for the product to undergo some evolution and receive some trickle-down technological advancements of its own! Axial has not changed the original scope of the vehicle; the AX10 Ridgecrest is still the "Leatherman" of the Axial product line and it's where backyard crawling begins. They have taken key features from all their products, along with an all-new tube style chassis and rolled them up into the AX10 Ridgecrest!
The most noticeable performance upgrade of the AX10 are the Ripsaw tires, with their 5.5" tall by 2.1" wide stance, mounted on officially licensed Raceline Renegade wheels. But what you do not see is the updated suspension geometry that also delivers better articulation. All delivered through Dana 60 inspired AR60 OCP-Axles that have already been proven on the Axial Wraith.
The AX10 Ridgecrest is a highly capable, affordable starting point for anyone. If you are not sure what you want to do and how you want to do it within the various segments of crawling, the AX10 Ridgecrest is the most versatile truck with scale looks, performance driven components and the right amount of speed mixed with technical crawling prowess – all in one rig.
- Tube Style Chassis: The AX10 features a tube style chassis design that makes the truck more durable, lightweight and rigid.
- Adjustable Battery Tray: The battery tray and electronics mount are easily adjustable for a number of configurations - battery in the rear, in the forward position, upside down, etc. Each of these adjustments allow you to setup your AX10 for the best possible handling.
- Spur Gear Cover: The protective transmission spur gear cover helps keep dirt and debris out of your pinion and spur gear for a quiet and efficient drivetrain.
- Slipper Clutch: Allows the motor to work more efficiently and greatly enhances the durability of the drivetrain allowing the transmission to slip in hard binds.
- High Performance Competition Shocks: Axial competition style shocks feature threaded shock bodies for tuning and easy pre-load adjustment, 3.5mm titanium nitride coated shock shafts for reduced lateral movement, silicone diaphragms for a more consistent feel and silicone bushings to prevent binding.
- AR60 OCP Axle: A locked differential provides the most positive wheel traction in all off-road environments and conditions and requires less maintenance over oil-filled or silicone based differentials. These are easily serviced by removing four screws to gain access for rebuilding and performance tuning as well.
- 4-Link Suspension: The suspension geometry utilizes a 4-Link design which is optimized to reduce axle steer and to have the proper amount of anti-squat and roll characteristics. The 4-Link system also aids against suspension wrap-up in high power applications.
- WB8 Splined Driveshaft: Metal to metal universal joint driveshaft system with splined plastic slider. This design provides more durability than traditional driveshaft designs because it uses a screw shaft for a more positive lock to the output shaft.
- 2.2 Ripsaw Tires: Ripsaw tires are mounted and pre-glued to 8-spoke Raceline Renegade Wheels right from the factory. The Axial 2.2 Ripsaw tire offers both a realistic and aggressive tread design for the ultimate scale appearance and performance.
- 2.2 Raceline Renegade Wheels: Pre-mounted 2.2 Raceline Renegade Wheels with 12mm hex mount which is reinforced with additional material and ribbing. Finished in a two-tone Black/Chrome scheme for great looks.
- AE-2 ESC with Drag Brake: The Axial AE-2 ESC was developed in partnership with Castle Creations and features LiPo cutoff, drag brake for tough crawling situations, a Tamiya style plug connector and is programmable via Castle Link (Castle Link not included). The AE-2 ESC is held in place vertically by a secure, clip-in style plastic mounting system just behind the radio box. Facing the rear of the truck helps keep debris and water away from the ESC.
- 20T Motor: Tear up the terrain, be it flat out desert, rocky roads or crawling! Easy operation: no tuning, no fuel, no loud exhaust noise. Just plug 'n' go! The design allows for optional 550 size motors to fit as well.
- Waterproof Receiver Box: Protects the receiver from dust and debris and is waterproof for the ultimate in weather protection.
- AX-3 2.4GHz Radio System:
- 2.4GHz, 2 channel pistol grip radio.
- Servo reversing switches for steering and throttle.
- Trim dials for fine tuning steering and throttle centers
- Battery indicator light lets you know when your transmitter batteries run low.
- AR-3 2.4GHz Receiver:
- AR-3 2.4GHz receiver - no crystals required.
- No frequency conflicts for worry-free driving.
- Bind button and LED indicator makes setup easy!
- Lightweight, compact size.
Wheelbase: 307mm (12.1")
Length: 467.4mm (18.4")
Width: 295.3mm (11.6")
Height: 238mm (9.38")
Ground Clearance: 76.2mm (3")
Weight (without battery): 1.9kg (4.2 lbs)
Needed to Complete:
- Battery & Charger
- AA Batteries for Transmitter